not logged in.
           forgot password?

Curious Minds Want To Know

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-08-2012, 08:48 AM

Default *re: Dq, badger, united states, olympia, savannah*

Hi, Greg and Steamboating colleagues:
Greg posed a pertinent question RE: present status of the DELTA QUEEN and, frankly, I don't know nor have I heard much recently. Those in the marine/river world in the know have information and opinions on her RE: "water leaks...boilers etc." Only time will tell and, in my case, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. The proposition of the DQ being given any certificate of operation I 'thought' would be contingent on just 49 overnight passengers. The financial return on that would be a good question.

I will be flying to Baltimore on May 17th for the annual meeting of Steamship Historical Society of America for four days. Among the many venues for the meeting will be a day seminar with break-out groups to discuss the present status of the DELTA QUEEN, SS BADGER on Lake Michigan, liner SS UNITED STATES, battle cruiser OLYMPIA of 1898 Manila Bay fame under SSHSA's 'ShiPosium,' the first ever held, to present plans and findings. The now 50 year old nuclear cargo/passenger ship SAVANNAH [Turbine steam] will have meetings aboard limited to the first 100 attendees who signed up. Those here old enough well remember the design/building of the SAVANNAH appearing back then with intensive coverage by NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC MAGAZINE, ship journals and the media. What the upshot of these seminars will produce should be interesting. Well, what do I know?

R. Dale Flick
Coal Haven Landing, Ohio River, Cincinnati.