Message Boards

Message Boards (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/)
-   Save the DELTA QUEEN (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/save-delta-queen/)
-   -   A new exposure for the DQ (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/save-delta-queen/3512-new-exposure-dq.html)

Virginia Cox 04-10-2010 07:36 AM

A new exposure for the DQ

[I]Exploritas[/I]formally known as Elderhostel has two programs involving the Delta Queen. One, the participants just visit her and tour her, finding out about Steamboating as a part of the Chattanooga experience. On the other, the participants stay for the entire time on board. The idea here is to learn about the life and times of the Delta Queen. Do we have stuff on board to explain why she is not a Hotel and not cruising the rivers? It seems that this would be a great chance to get the message out, perhaps to newbies on the river. for those of you not familar with these programs, these were originally for active seniors who wanted to continue learning. They have just dropped the age recently for the new name.

inactive user 02 04-10-2010 09:36 AM

Virginia,

That is great news! She needs all the exposure she can get to help get the word out. Perhaps these visitors will get the ball rolling and get other people to come. The more who know, the better the chances are she will run again!

Strangely enough, I dreamt last night I was aboard her as a stow-away on her first cruise back out. We were in New Orleans at the Robin St. Wharf and we started the cruise as a race with the NATCHEZ and BELLE OF CINCINNATI...then headed to Louisville to race the BELLE. We lost the race with the NATCHEZ....Lord...I still think about that boat every day!

By the way, on a seperate subject...I found what you were looking for and emailed you. However, I never got a response as to where to send it. Hope you found it elsewhere!

Travis

ed frazier 04-10-2010 08:49 PM

The intrest is there.

When I was down at the boat 2 weeks ago there were 20 - 30 people I spoke to that were just standing at the bank and in the park that were so facinated about the boat and didnt even think they could go aboard. Also, at work it is surprising as to how many people I work with that have no clue as to what the Delta Queen is? When I tell them they seem very intrested and talk about going down to Coolige Park to see her. Due to the needs around the house, it will be this thursday before I can get back down there. I am hoping to speak to whoever is in charge to see about how to volunteer a day or two a week to help keep her up. As I said before, it is good to hear her sing. The next step is to see her wheel turning out of Chattanooga to plow the rivers again as she was ment to.

Pat Traynor 04-11-2010 09:45 AM

If you go to exploritas.org/programs and type in Delta Queen, you can get the entire schedule for this event, which is April 25 - 30th. The cost is $923 which ncludes lodging, meals and several tours. Not bad! They are also doing another one October 17 - 22nd.

It appears that they have the educational aspect pretty well covered, but it's quite vague on what entertainment will be offered. Seems to me this would be an ideal opportunity to get some of the 'old time' entertainers back, to show how it really was back in the days the boat ran.

Co-incidently, Barb Hameister and I are going to be there on the same dates as the elderhostal. Imagine Barb will be kept busy playing the calliope (sp?) - they haven't had a regular player ever since Bill Wiemuth left last July.

Pat

Virginia Cox 04-11-2010 12:48 PM

Pat,
I will be across the river, I think, on the Niagra Price, an ACCL boat around that same time - April 25, 26. I plan to come across an visit the DQ.

Pat Traynor 04-11-2010 06:25 PM

Hi Virginia,
Look forward to seeing you - ask at the front desk, they usually know where we are. Or call and let us know when you're coming over - my cell phone is: 239-248-6648.

Pat

Judy Patsch 04-11-2010 09:56 PM

NIAGARA PRINCE

Virginia, where will you travel on the NIAGARA PRINCE? It has been docked here at Poydras St. in New Orleans. Looks like they are readying it for the new season, painting, etc.

inactive user 02 04-11-2010 11:44 PM

Judy,

They are headed to Chattanooga via the Tenn-Tom and then to Nashville, and on to Chicago. They were supposed to go to Knoxville...but, due to Chickamauga being closed...that was cancelled.

I think Virginia was doing the Knoxville run with them. Alot of the DQ regulars were planning on that trip. It is too bad...cause I have made it on an excursion boat delivery and it was phenominal! Most beautiful stretch of river I have ever seen out here!

Travis

Virginia Cox 04-13-2010 08:12 AM

We will be leaving New Orleans on 4/16 at 9 AM(they say) and going the intercoastal waterway to Mobile Bay. I figure we will arrive in Chattanooga on the 24th or 25th. Have not seen a schedule. Our cruise ends the morning of the 27.

The Prince then does a Chattanooga to Nashville(was Knoxville to Nashville)run, then a third run from Nashville to Chicago. After that she will do Chicago to New Orleans and a return to Chicago.

Will the Natchez have anything going on mid afternoon of 4/15? My husband and I should be to the Prince by 12 noon if the airplane doen't get lost.

Judy Patsch 04-13-2010 09:59 AM

Yes, she'll be doing the two hour harbor trip at 2:30.