Message Boards

Message Boards (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/)
-   Save the DELTA QUEEN (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/save-delta-queen/)
-   -   Delta queen (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/save-delta-queen/2924-delta-queen.html)

CHARLES JONES 04-01-2009 05:03 AM

Delta queen

The april issue of Work Boat there is a very negative letter about the
DELTA QUEEN.

Franz Neumeier 04-01-2009 05:44 AM

If it's the one I've read (mentioning the "Gen. Slocum", again?) then this is the most unsubstantiated piece of text I've ever seen about the Delta Queen. It's worse than everything that a certain Representative from Minnesota was ever saying about the DQ; pure lies, stupid, pointless. Let's just ignore it ... We need someone intersted in investing in the Delta Quen and willing to operate her as an overnight passenger vessel. As soon as we've accomplished this task, we don't have to care about such grinches any longer.

R. Dale Flick 04-01-2009 05:49 AM

*RE: WORK BOAT Magazine/DQ.*
Hi, Charles & steamboating colleagues:
Thanks for the 'heads up' on coverage of the DQ in April WORK BOAT. I find the publication is only archived up to February, 2009. Could you possibly give us all a better link? Generally WORK BOAT is a pretty interesting publication. Unfortunately now somewhat negative coverage of the DELTA QUEEN has been appearing here and there locally and nationally. I guess it goes with the old adage about "Kicking a person when they're already down." With the media we have to take the good, bad and indifferent for what they are.

Coal Haven Landing, Ohio River.

Bob Reynolds 04-01-2009 07:17 AM

Dale, John Fryant showed me a copy last Saturday. The mention was in a letter to the editor from a retired Coastie.

Carmen 04-01-2009 11:23 AM

Dale,

Itīs a letter to the editor and itīs not online.

Carmen

Lexie Palmore 04-02-2009 04:57 PM

The letter is full of mistakes, especially when referring to the design of historic paddlewheelers. And where did that "floodable length" thing come from? Having a burr under his saddle since 1973, I can see why he's heated up. But why would Work Boat print such a thing?

David Dewey 04-02-2009 07:28 PM

Most of us here do NOT get "Work Boat" so have no idea what is wrong in the letter. It would do us all a great favor to post it, and you can post the errors too, for those that are reading here and might not be "up" on the DQ's true conditions. How about identifying the author, maybe then we'll know more about where he "comes from."
Thanks!
S'
David D.

Carmen 04-03-2009 12:58 AM

David,

Due to copyright reasons I cannot post the letter.

Lexie,

Thatīs what I had a problem with too. I havenīt heard of that before.

Carmen

Judy Patsch 04-03-2009 07:36 AM

It would be nice to pull the thread then, as its like we're being teased, nyah nyah we know something you don't know........ or else tell us what the person wrote, in your own words.

Bob Reynolds 04-03-2009 09:14 AM

[QUOTE=Judy Patsch;16428]It would be nice to pull the thread then, as its like we're being teased, nyah nyah we know something you don't know........ or else tell us what the person wrote, in your own words.[/QUOTE]

I am not trying to be that way at all. The guy did mention this "floodable length" issue, and went on to say that a Congresswoman from Missouri (Leonore K. Sullivan, though he did not mention her by name in his letter) threatened to cut Coast Guard funding if an exemption were not issued for the DQ. He also spewed the same old propaganda about wooden superstructures and lack of fire safety, mentioned the GEN. SLOCUM, and intimated the list of fire deaths on riverboats was long and gruesome. Nothing that pertained to modern times or the DELTA QUEEN's situation. My take is that this guy has his shorts in a wad over being overruled in the 1970's on this floodable length technicality.