Message Boards

Message Boards (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/)
-   Save the DELTA QUEEN (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/save-delta-queen/)
-   -   Pitmans disconnected?? What's up?? (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/save-delta-queen/2919-pitmans-disconnected-whats-up.html)

David Dewey 03-29-2009 12:51 PM

Pitmans disconnected?? What's up??

Hi all,
Just read a guest editorial in the Marietta Register by Cap't Mike, and quote;
"Recently I found the DQ very quiet drawing eight feet forward in the Tennessee River, looking a wee bit seedy, green algae growing on the paddle, pitmen beams disconnected and unattached. A few persons, yelling at each other, were sprucing her up though."
Soo. . . . What's going on???

S'
David D.
PS Nice editorial BTW, here's the URL
[url=http://www.mariettaregister.com/index2.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=899&Itemid=1&pop=1&page=0]The Marietta Register Online :: Exit the Delta Queen, Guest Column by Capt. Mike Giglio[/url]

Richard Weisenberger 03-30-2009 02:34 PM

David's post about the removal of the Pitmans concerns me too. I hope they're not considering refitting the DQ for diesel! That would be the last straw!

Wesley Paulson 03-30-2009 06:59 PM

Speculation re: Pitmans

Does removing the pitmans somehow satisfy a requirement that the DQ is physically (and visibly) out of service without doing any other harm to the steam plant?

Wesley

Mary Sward Charlton 03-31-2009 01:12 PM

I just spoke with Jennifer Lemmon, who is working on the DQ these days, wearing many hats. She has been shore tours director the past two seasons. To her knowledge, the pitmans are not disconnected, but she will check when she returns to the boat in a couple of days. In the past, there had been some talk about running the paddlewheel a bit, just for show--keep in mind, this is along the lines of "wouldn't it be nice if . . ," and is not a priority. They are very busy getting the boat systems ready for hotel guests in May--the alarm system was being tested the past few days; sprinkler system charged and ready; lots of painting going on. They don't have time for "what ifs" at the moment! So I'm not sure if Captain Mike's glance from a bridge while driving was completely accurate. Jennifer will let me know when she gets back to the boat, but as far as we know, there is no reason the pitmans would be disconnected.

Judy Patsch 03-31-2009 07:05 PM

Capt. Mike

And it should be clarified that the Captain Mike is Mike Giglio, not our Capt. Mike Williams of the DQ...

Mary Sward Charlton 04-01-2009 06:50 AM

Thank you, Judy. I thought of that after I hit "post." Our Captain Mike Williams would have gone down and started scraping the algae himself, and had an answer one way or the other on the pitmans!!

Capt Mike 04-01-2009 04:44 PM

The Delta Queen

This IS the Real Captain Mike Williams, and to my knowledge the pitman arms have not been disconnected, as a matter in fact I spoke with some one there yesterday,and the lease with the owners states that the lessor must maintain the vessel in operating condition, regardless, unhooking the pitmans in a minor issue and would only be perhaps in response to Coast Guard demands to "disable" the vessel from operation, a technical matter easily resolved. As far as the other poster, "Captain Mike", no doubt a good man and Captain, but I am Captain Mike Williams of the Delta Queen, 25 years onboard and proud of it!

David Dewey 04-04-2009 02:10 AM

Thank you all for the clarification!
It's hard way out here in Californy to no be very worried about "our" boat!
S'
David D.

Mary Sward Charlton 04-10-2009 05:32 PM

As promised, Jennifer took a careful look-see this week, and OF COURSE the pitmans are still connected, as we thought, with no plans to disconnect them. There are no plans, either--no reason to disconnect. The hotel plans are moving along nicely, and Jennifer has been giving lots of tours.

Shipyard Sam 04-11-2009 09:09 AM

Puzzled ???

What puzzles me about this hotel arrangement is why would anyone invest so much into a project like this if it could suddenly end should the boat be sold to someone else. Seems odd.