Message Boards

Message Boards (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/)
-   Save the DELTA QUEEN (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/save-delta-queen/)
-   -   Pres. Obama Townhall 3/18/09 (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/save-delta-queen/2898-pres-obama-townhall-3-18-09-a.html)

Neal Kapp 03-16-2009 01:57 PM

Pres. Obama Townhall 3/18/09

I will attempt to get tickets for the scheduled Presidential townhall on Wed 3/18 in Costa Mesa, Ca, at 4pm PST. They just annouced the "how to get a ticket" so I will be stuck in some long lines most of the morning tomorrow.

Info indicates 15-30 min speech, and then it is open for questions for an un-announced period of time

I would like to ask the forum to provide a single comment / question that if I have the opportunity of being chosen to ask the President "our" question, I will ask it on behalf of all Save the DQ. orgers. It should be a well stated comment with short fact and history with some relevance to current economic situation, followed with a well worded question that is not open ended, but requires a specific answer.

I will think about this for a while and post my own, but then it will not be from an "interconnected collective".

Richard Weisenberger 03-16-2009 02:20 PM

Knock and the door shall be opened.

I believe this may be the best opportunity we've had yet. Remember that President Obama was [B]pro DQ[/B] prior to his election. If anyone has the power to modify the Safety at Sea Law to exclude historic inland waterway vessels, such as the Delta Queen, it would by him. It would only take a stroke of his pen.

That would forever free the Delta Queen to resume her former activity along our rivers here in America.

Neal Kapp 03-16-2009 04:36 PM

I'm still looking for the perfect question, but here is, if given the opportunity the presentation/overview I will bring. I would adlib on the fly, but keeping in mind the amount of time I may have it has to remain very high level.

Mr. President, sir, thank you for coming here today and providing this opportunity for “US” citizens to ask questions directly to you. My question concerns the Delta Queen Steamboat. If I may sir, take the liberty of a minute or two to provide an overview of the issue for those in attendance, here on the west coast who may not be aware of our grassroots campaign.
• The Delta Queen is an 83 year old California native- Yeah dude born and raised!
• The last remaining authentic paddlewheel steamboat in operation. The DQ and her sister (or brother?) ship are veterans of WWII, as they we called to duty to run injured servicemen from San Francisco to (Oakland/Alameda) naval hospital, after the bombing of Pearl Harbor.
• The Delta Queen is a Registered Historic Landmark
• The Delta Queen is on The National Register of Historic Places
• The Delta Queen was just added to the National Trust for Historic Preservations 2009 list of 11 most Endangered Historic places.
SOLAS-overview
• Sea-Going Vessels- the DQ is not!
• "Having berth or stateroom accommodations for 50 or more passengers" have to be compliant with the SOLAS regulations of 1960 and some amendments.
• Safety at Sea Act P.L. 89-777, deals with special fire safety measures- Wooden superstructure
The Delta Queen received exemptions from Congress for over 40 years because she’s so safe despite the fact that her superstructure partially is from wood. NO accidents, not deaths from accidents= perfect service record!
• The DQ has been outfitted with state-of the-art fire suppression and detection and alarm systems. NASA Developed fire retardant paint, trained fire crew on board, trained on evacuation, exits are clearly marked. Passengers required to sign a waiver understanding the hazards of a wooden boat, and all are happy to do so!
• DQ never ventures out to Sea, Inland waterways only.
• Shallow steel hull allows access to any shore within minutes
In 2008 the Congressional exemption was not allowed to go to a floor vote (an “un-democratic process” that needs review in and of itself, and I won’t go into that here) the exemption expired, in-turn the Coast Guard Certificate of inspection also expired.
The sale of the entire fleet of Majestic America cruise line and the potential return to work for hundreds, and return of revenue to local communities all hinge on the Delta Queen exemption.

Mr. President, on behalf of the grassroots campaign, and the 618 members of the Save the Delta Queen/Steamboats. Org, and all other friends and fans of the DQ, our question to you is... XXXXXX

David Dewey 03-16-2009 09:15 PM

Intro is way too wordy, must be in something like 3 to 4 sentences. I'm thinking, I'll post later
S'
David D.

David Dewey 03-16-2009 10:36 PM

My Suggested Intro and Question

Mr. President:
Last year America saw what may be the end of an era. For the first time since 1811, no overnight steamboats are running on the great American Inland Rivers system. This is because America’s Legendary Steamboat, The Delta Queen, became a political pawn and a vote to grant her permission to operate was not allowed to reach the congressional floor. During your campaign, you stated a desire to help save the Delta Queen, which would save over 200 American jobs and help all the small towns where she stops—at NO COST to the American taxpayers. Mr. President, will you now help by pushing for legislation to exempt inland riverboats from the Safety of Ships at Sea regulations? Regulations which make sense for ships miles from shore and safety, but not for riverboats minutes from shore. Your support can save American Heritage and American jobs. Will you help?

Pat Traynor 03-17-2009 05:52 AM

Excellent, David!! It's very important to keep it short and to the point.......

Neal Kapp 03-17-2009 10:59 AM

All,
Sorry to report I missed the cut-off. There were people camping out since yesterday afternoon, by the time I got down to the fairgrounds there where1000's of people, mass confusion and multiple lines with no one directing anyone to which line was "the line".
I gave it a shot, thanks for the help David!

Richard Weisenberger 03-17-2009 02:27 PM

David's suggested intro looks excellent! We don't have much convincing to do with our current president, as he already likes the Delta Queen. We can keep it short and to the point. If we missed President Obama this time, I'm sure there will be more opportunities and future Town Hall meetings to voice our concern.

Let's all stay alert for when and where the next Presidential Town Hall meeting or meetings will be held and be prepared to address the President. Searching the White House website for "town hall meetings" is a good start.
[url=http://tinyurl.com/c7d8u4]Search[/url]

Neal Kapp 04-05-2009 01:46 PM

Something I ran across in regards to the G20 summit that concerned me a bit;

The heirs to the movement to create a League of Nations, under the cover of a financial crisis and a Group of 20 Summit in London, are now poised to make the greatest step forward in the creation of a world government since the founding of the United Nations. As in the midst of World War II, these men who expect to prevail seek first an agreement on the money system. The political structure that will be used to implement it comes next. [B](For example: Look for passage of the UN's pending Law of the Sea Treaty (LOST), which gives control and taxing authority over the world's oceans to the UN,[/B] [B]to become an even more intense effort in the U.S. Senate[/B]. Also look for a new global warming agreement that gives the UN further controls over national industrial output and polices governing that output.)

[B]A United Nations with power to regulate and tax the world's money system and control the oceans (and rivers that feed them) will be more than powerful enough to dictate how Americans are to live their lives. Such an unelected and unaccountable world governing body would be the ultimate in taxation without representation — the ultimate tyranny. [/B]
We reject all calls for our government to empower the United Nations and create a world government. Instead the United States should "Get US Out of the UN!"

Paul Penta 04-05-2009 03:28 PM

[QUOTE=Neal Kapp;16459]Something I ran across in regards to the G20 summit that concerned me a bit;

The heirs to the movement to create a League of Nations, under the cover of a financial crisis and a Group of 20 Summit in London, are now poised to make the greatest step forward in the creation of a world government since the founding of the United Nations. As in the midst of World War II, these men who expect to prevail seek first an agreement on the money system. The political structure that will be used to implement it comes next. [B](For example: Look for passage of the UN's pending Law of the Sea Treaty (LOST), which gives control and taxing authority over the world's oceans to the UN,[/B] [B]to become an even more intense effort in the U.S. Senate[/B]. Also look for a new global warming agreement that gives the UN further controls over national industrial output and polices governing that output.)

[B]A United Nations with power to regulate and tax the world's money system and control the oceans (and rivers that feed them) will be more than powerful enough to dictate how Americans are to live their lives. Such an unelected and unaccountable world governing body would be the ultimate in taxation without representation — the ultimate tyranny. [/B]
We reject all calls for our government to empower the United Nations and create a world government. Instead the United States should "Get US Out of the UN!"[/QUOTE]

And this has something to do with the Delta Queen and steamboating in general how??????

Paul