Message Boards

Message Boards (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/)
-   Save the DELTA QUEEN (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/save-delta-queen/)
-   -   D.Q. Clue + Crewless (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/save-delta-queen/2865-d-q-clue-crewless.html)

Fred Carmichael 02-19-2009 08:00 PM

D.Q. Clue + Crewless

I terminated my employment on the D.Q. yesterday, around noon. Unless others have arrived today, there is no one on board who has ever worked on the boat, knows anything about the boat operating systems, or in my opinion cares about her history or value to the thousands of people whose lives she has touched. The current owner are under a great deal of pressure to make the "Boatel" a success, as fast as possible. Reputations are on the line and the effect this may have on the boat is very secondary to the salvaging of the Reputations. Between the long hours and above attitude, I could no longer stay and watch "my" boat be stripped of everything of importance she holds for me, both emotionally and with the work enviroment I have become used to on the job. I was told more than once "this is not a boat, it is a hotel". Guess I'm just to old to make the required change about something that has been a boat to me since 1976. They may as well just put up a sign saying Steamboaters Not Welcome.

Bruno Krause 02-19-2009 08:58 PM

I, too, have heard via the Sternwheel Telegraph that all is not [B][I]peachy-keen[/I][/B] with the B and B operation.. I'm hearing that they are choosing to ignore/forget that they are operating a boat, that they don't need to know about any stinkin sewage! Some have made a point of slamming me about the boat's existing sewage and water system, those systems and how they begin to work with in-place infrastructure... but guess what, the DQ systems are what they are and they require [B][I]engineering[/I][/B] types to even begin to try and make them work with a city system, a city system that is not yet connected permanently to the DQ, and a DQ system that has not been [B][I]enhanced[/I][/B] to permanently connect to a city system nor will it be for awhile...

and all the [B][I]engineering[/I][/B] has left the building, for good...

The boat is NOT on shore power yet...wanna take a guess how long the fuel in the "day" tanks on both the Port and Starboard generators are gonna last without somebody...anybody transfering Number 2 from the hull tanks to the days?...better bring candles, and flashlights...Lovely...

Deb and I are sending [B][I]bright[/I][/B] thoughts.

And just to really give you nightmares, the Telegraph also says that certain historical stuff/paperwork/FRN nostalgia, literially a huge bag was [B][I]almost[/I][/B] tossed also, except for very quick thinking by a fellow dot.orger and a fellow Chattanooga FRN...

Jim Herron 02-19-2009 10:58 PM

I have heard a rumor about an elevator being ordered for the DQ. Does anyone know something about this? Where and how would this be installed? Hope it is just a rumor and nothing more.

In railroad museums, historic equipment is protected from compliance with handicap access requirements. Not sure about a floating "botique-hotel".

David Dewey 02-20-2009 11:57 AM

Hmm, thought there was/is a "NO "CHANGES" clause in the lease. If all this stuff is going on, then we've been duped, and the DQ will never sail again.
S'
David D.

Bob Reynolds 02-20-2009 12:51 PM

My opinion only, but an elevator might not be such a bad thing, especially if done well.

Jo Ann Schoen 02-20-2009 01:38 PM

Having been on the DELTA Dream Trip (the cat is out of the bag) and getting to know Captain Harry Phillips - as I have told many of you, my impression is that he appears to care about the boat. It is also my understanding that he cannot change anything. I have been in direct contact with him regarding the rumor of valuables being discarded and an elevator going in. He has stated this is not true.

I only hope that there have been misunderstandings, as most of you know, I for one would never want to see ANYTHING - no matter how small changed about our beloved DELTA - without a thorough discussion with the FRN's!

In that respect I have to agree with Captain Reynolds. Before Jazzou Jones left the boat, he and I had that very discussion. In anticipation of my old age and knowing I would still want to ride the DELTA QUEEN I was talking out loud one day about putting in one of those cute little (I think of movies from England) glass sided elevators in the forward cabin lounge next to the Grand Stairway. He then pointed out to me where a hole had once been for a dumbwaiter from the Orleans Room to the Betty Blake Lounge when the Dining Room was there in the California days. So you see, she could be sympathetically altered even for we purist.

As a very outspoken advocate for the DELTA QUEEN - please let's give this guy a chance. I know being tied up as a floating hotel is not our first choice. But her fate in New Orleans certainly could have been much worse.

We've got to continue in our effort to get an exemption, make sure that Ambassadors continues her COI and look for a buyer who will care for her to our satisfaction. Those are tall orders for sure. But if each one of us does EVERYTHING we can to make it happen - I believe we will win.

So #1: Continue to contact your Representative and Senators and continually ask them to sponsor or at least co-sponsor legislation for the exemption. Why hasn't that exemption been attached to any of the stimulus bills? Her running will certainly save and create jobs.

#2: Make contact with Ambassadors and make sure they are keeping that COI current - even if for only 49 overnight passengers. If it expires it's my understanding this could cause dire problems (beyond anything we could fix).

#3: THINK, think, think about who in your state might be interested in helping perserve this National Historic Landmark. Probably one entity cannot do it alone - but THINK of who sponsors events, has stadiums named after them, hospitals named after them, etc. - anyone.

My thought has been, "if I'm going to make a fool out of myself - better over the DELTA QUEEN than anything else I can think of". So no idea is too hairbrained. We can't let up now. We must keep working to our full potential - time has not run out. SAVE THE DELTA QUEEN.

Roger Hilligoss 02-21-2009 11:08 AM

I could be wrong, but it is my understanding that the Delta Queen does not have a current COI. The COI issued in Memphis on 31 Oct was only valid for the trip to NOLA. She was given a "Permit to Proceed" for the trip to Chattanooga and an "Excursion Permit" for the cruise in Chattanooga (according to my sources).

Bob Reynolds 02-21-2009 01:32 PM

Roger, I'm sure you are right. Those permits are the way they handle stuff such as what they've been doing. I am not an expert by any means on this stuff, but I remember a few years ago when the DQ lost her COI and had to get a new one. Capt. Mike did extensive posts on that, what was required, what he did, etc. Losing the COI is not a good thing, but also not the end of operation as a passenger boat by any means. Just more work when the time come to get a re-issue.