Message Boards

Message Boards (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/)
-   Save the DELTA QUEEN (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/save-delta-queen/)
-   -   Exemption Bill Now Dead (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/save-delta-queen/2516-exemption-bill-now-dead.html)

Jim Reising 10-05-2008 11:09 AM

Exemption Bill Now Dead

The Courier Journal reported this morning that the DQ exemption bill is dead at the committee level in the Senate. After the bill was introduced it was sent to the Senate Commerce, Science and Transportation Committee who failed to act on the bill before Congress adjourned until Nov. 17. What does this mean? Is the bill now dead and would have to be reintroduced when Congress reconvenes and the whole process start again? Even if the current exemption expires Nov. 1st can congress reinstate it at anytime if it so chooses? Are we dead in the water or is there still hope?

Mike Washenko 10-05-2008 11:16 AM

Exemption Bill

Jim,

It's not dead. When congress returns in November they could mark it up to pass on to the full chamber. The bill will die when congress officially adjourns sometime in December.

Bruno Krause 10-05-2008 11:26 AM

Jim, It is also my understanding that in 1970 the exemption did indeed expire and was passed by Congress, signed by Nixon a short time later.

Ten guesses as to who is the chairman of that committee...I just don't get it how two fossilized old dinosaurs can hold so much power, can decide [B][I]on their own[/I][/B] that legislation shall not be discussed or decided on. Sad...and scary...

I guess it's time for Inouye to be in our spotlight for awhile.

Franz Neumeier 10-05-2008 11:48 AM

Bruno,

not Inouye should be in our focus - we won't change his mind anyway.

Our focus need to be on ALL THE OTHER SENATORS who have not cigned to co-sponsor the bill in the Senate. If there are more thanhalf of the Senators co-sponsoring, the bill can go directly to the floor, no matter what the committee chairman thinks or does!

Please, let's not start over with Inouye/Oberstar bashing. Let's do something that will have a chance to HELP the Delta Queen, i.e. put pressure on the Senators don't support the DQ bill yet.

Franz

Bruno Krause 10-05-2008 01:07 PM

Actually, not positive if you are referring directly to me, but I wasn't bashing anybody, I try very hard not to bash anybody or anything on this forum anymore as I know its verbotten. Nor was it my intent to stir up the forum pot. There are other places to look if people want to see my rants....

My intent is that there is another side to the equation, mainly the Senate, and we have just as big a problem in that 'other' house. In all my talks on the DQ about this issue, most passengers were painfully aware that James Oberstar was the heart of the problem. Almost nobody knew that Daniel Inouye is also just as much a problem, he has just been quieter about it. I wonder how many of our forum members and lurkers know about Inouye's connection to the exemption? That was my point, to make the 'uninitiated' aware...

I'm thinking that Jim meant no harm, but the title of the thread is misleading/shocking at first glance. Isn't it such that the exemption bill will never truly be 'dead'?

My apologies for the 'fossilized old dinosaur" statement, though that is my opinion of the two gentlemen, and I'm being charitable.

Franz Neumeier 10-05-2008 02:08 PM

Bruno,

sorry for my misleading posting. I didn't reply directly to your posting because I wanted to tell YOU not to bash ;-) It was just a general remark in the whole issue as I think it doesn't matter much at the moment to make people aware of this or that politicial who is standing in our way as we all together don't have the power to get them ont of the way. The power we have is getting the undecided on our side. That was my whole point :-)

Or in short: For saving the Delta Queen it's not important to know who our enemies are, it's important how many friends we do have or can make in the very near future.

Franz

Bruno Krause 10-05-2008 05:45 PM

Me [B][I]bash[/I][/B]?, Surely you are mistaking me for some other Bruno on this forum ;-)... the new improved Bruno doesn't bash, he's a meek, mild mannered kind of guy...

Ok, I will ask another question. What is the status of Majestic America Line selling the three Mississippi River boats? As their status as a cruiseline company winds down to only 5 more weeks, I'm at a loss as to why everything is still so secret about a sale, or sales.

Judy Patsch 10-05-2008 06:39 PM

COI

Do not forget that the DQ's COI expires on Oct. 31, 2008. I don't know whether or not that can be renewed without an exemption enacted first. I do know that if the COI expires, so does the DQ as a functioning boat, as she cannot be made to meet the current standards - no grandfathering on a new COI. And the public cannot request the CG to do the COI bit, only the boat owner.

Alan Bates 10-06-2008 04:41 AM

Pauline Tabor, Kentucky's most notorious madam, once wrote of politicians that, "for the most part they seemed to be a rather shabby-souled, shallow-minded lot." Saddled with 535 of them in Congress, the Delta Queen's prospects do not look good.

Franz Neumeier 10-06-2008 08:15 AM

The Certificate of Inspection can not be renewed without an exemption enacted first. The Safety at Sea Act says that the Coast Guard can not issue a COI for boats holding berth for more than 50 passengers with wooden superstructures. But what they can do (and to my knowledge already did on request of Majestic America Line) is issueing a COI for different purposes than overnight cruises. So even after Oct 31, 2008, the Delta Queen will be abe and allowed to run under her own power. She just must not carry overnight passengers then anymore until a new exemption is issued and the COI in consequence is issued for overnight cruise business which I suppose the new owner to come will request as soon as te exemption is there.