Steamboats.org Homepage  
  not logged in.
           forgot password?

Continuing the Count II

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-07-2008, 08:07 AM

Default Continuing the Count II

I'd like to start a new thread of Continuing the Count. The previous one is buried and was getting too long.

If you're not sitting down, you'd better for the news I am about to present.

The kind and loyal folks in Louisville has finally been able to convince Representative Democrat John Yarmuth to vote "YES" if we can get a bill back on the House floor!

He held one of his "Congress on Your Corner" last night at a time and place that was convenient for working folks. I attended. Very simply after raising my hand and being called upon I asked the folks in the audience how many had heard about the plight of the DELTA QUEEN (I was shocked only a few held up their hands). Then I asked how many thought the DELTA QUEEN should be exempted. More hands went up. Then turning to the Congressman I asked him "knowing that it is not a safety issue what it would take for him to vote yes for an exemption". That is when he tried to bring the safety issue back into the fray, but he did end up saying yes he would vote for the exemption. I'm so mean, I asked him to repeat it. And again he said yes, he would vote for the exemption.

So, now we have his support and witnesses to boot!

The meeting then broke up and I got 13 more signatures on the petition.

I have a meeting next week scheduled with a representative of Senator Bayh of Indiana and also one with Senator Bunning of Kentucky. I'm waiting to hear from a representive of Senator Lugar of Indiana.

I have loaded into the computer signature of 7,956 people I will be glad to email to you if you'd like to schedule appointments with your Senators or their representatives. Most of the signatures are from the tri state area of Indiana, Kentucky, and Ohio. But I have signatures from all over the United States and foreign countries - obtained on the AMERICAN QUEEN and the DELTA QUEEN and just from folks visiting in the tri state area.

Time is running short. But we can't give up. We need YOUR help today. Whether you've been working like a dog on this or haven't felt you've had the time to do much of anything we still could use your talent and help. Let me know if you have any questions.

THANKS and as one of our avid campaigners says "onward and upward"!