Message Boards

Message Boards (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/)
-   Save the DELTA QUEEN (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/save-delta-queen/)
-   -   Surely I'm not the first! (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/save-delta-queen/2379-surely-im-not-first.html)

Alan Bates 08-02-2008 05:57 AM

Surely I'm not the first!

Surely I am not the first to think of this:

The SOLAS rules were passed because the U. S. Coasst Guard could not enforce its rules on ships with "flags of convenience". Instead, they had a law passed that forbade such ships from taking passengers from American ports, which they COULD enforce.

A simple declaration that the inland rivers are ports would solve this exemption problem, for American riverboats would then never leave port!

In fact, landings can be made on both shores the full length of these rivers; ergo, they are ALL PORT.

Phillip Johnson 08-02-2008 08:43 AM

I beleive you're referring to the Jones Act, or maybe it was the Passenger Shipping Act...created to protect American shipping unions. This is the same act that Norwegian Cruise Lines was granted an exemption from where the US allowed them to flag a foerign built ship under the US flag. The terms were that once the program stablized they would revitalize the last two US ocean liners, the [I]Independence[/I] and the [I]SS United States[/I]. Well the program flopped and now the Indy is in Dubai...likely to be scrapped and the SS US is not going to be restored, yet congress ignores this and allows NCL to continue even though they didn't live up to their agreement. They need to be addressing this rather than ignoring a foreign interest thats taking advantage of them, and not working against out AMERICAN Delta Queen and her 100% American crew, not to mention the historic place she holds in AMERICAN History.

Paul Penta 08-02-2008 09:33 AM

[QUOTE=Phillip Johnson;11897]I beleive you're referring to the Jones Act, or maybe it was the Passenger Shipping Act...created to protect American shipping unions. [/QUOTE]

I think you're correct, Phil. There is also some kind of provision about where a ship is built. The company for whom I worked the Key West ferry boats from Marco Island and Ft Myers Beach to Key West had to make sure that they bought new boats from American companies because we always went from an American port directly to an American port.

Paul

Alan Bates 08-02-2008 10:55 AM

Absolutely not! I am referring to the Safety of Lives At Sea rules. The Jones Act is primarily aimed at crewing vessels and protecting those crews.

What I am trying to say is since the entire river system is a shipping and receiving port within the United States, then the Delta Queen never leaves port.

The Jones Act is but one of the iniquitous inequities thrust on the American citizenry by well-meaning but ignorant legislators.

inactive user 02 08-02-2008 11:25 AM

Capt. Alan,

I never thought of it like that. Perhaps, Vicki Webster and the Save the DELTA QUEEN Campaign need to use this information to their advantage...because you are right!

Many of the landings the DELTA QUEEN uses are named "Port of" this and that...but, they are ALL American ports..she never leaves the country or the port.

~Travis~

Pat Traynor 08-02-2008 12:45 PM

Pat Traynor

[QUOTE=Alan Bates;11896]Surely I am not the first to think of this:

The SOLAS rules were passed because the U. S. Coasst Guard could not enforce its rules on ships with "flags of convenience". Instead, they had a law passed that forbade such ships from taking passengers from American ports, which they COULD enforce.

A simple declaration that the inland rivers are ports would solve this exemption problem, for American riverboats would then never leave port!

In fact, landings can be made on both shores the full length of these rivers; ergo, they are ALL PORT.[/QUOTE]

Alan, that's an astounding thought! Could it be that everyone has been overlooking such a simple and obvious solution to this problem all these years. Seems like this needs looking into ASAP!

Along another line - I've never been able to understand why no one ever tried to amend the wording of the SOLAS Law in the first place - the word that is fatal to the DQ is "domestic". I believe it reads something like "all ships both foreign and domestic" are included in this law. It's too bad it wasn't changed right in the beginning - or any time since - at a time when there was not a Garmatz or an Oberstar fighting it. Seems like that could have been a simple change, that would slip by, with no one noticing it. But as Dale says, 'what do I know"!

Lexie Palmore 08-02-2008 02:49 PM

Well, there you are.... The DQ is not a ship. And it doesn't go to sea. Thus, the DQ should never have been subject to this law, ever. And, lest he forget, we should remind Mr. Oberstar that yesterday was the anniversary of the great Minneapolis bridge collapse. According to those who keep track of those things, very little has been done to improve our aging bridge infrastructure since then.