Steamboats.org Homepage  
  not logged in.
           forgot password?

Report from Lunch :-(

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-08-2008, 11:56 PM

MAL is trying to market all three boats to basically the same target group, which is basically anyone who can afford a trip. I am not convinced that taking a "shotgun" approach to marketing is the right thing to do, at least not in this case.

The DQ appeals more to retirees and repeaters. Majestic America Line should develop and implement an effective plan to market the DQ to that market. Majestic America Line should do the same with the MQ, targeting its marketing to the slightly younger crowd.

Both markets, retirees and younger people, have enough viability to sustain the profitable operation of both boats.

As for the AQ, I don't have an answer. The vacation industry (market) only has two segments: retirees and younger people. There is already a boat for each segment, the DQ and the MQ, respectively.

One of my thoughts is that if younger people were forced to choose between the MQ and AQ, they would most likely take whichever one is available at the time. But if retirees were forced to choose between the DQ and either of the other two boats, the DQ would win, hands down.

Axing the DQ but keeping the MQ and AQ would drastically reduce MAL's share in market for retirees, which is one of the two major vacation markets. Bad move. Very bad move.

I feel that either the MQ or AQ needs to go. There are two boats serving esentially the same market (young people), and there aren't enough young steamboat enthusiasts to justify the expense of running two boats. The sad reality is that most young people would rather take a week-long, ultra-luxury cruise (round-trip airfare included) for half the price of a Majestic America Line cruise. Yes, pricing is another issue; if they aren't careful, Majestic America Line will price themselves out of business.