Steamboats.org Homepage  
  not logged in.
           forgot password?

Update from one Indiana Representative

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-27-2008, 09:20 AM

Default Update from one Indiana Representative

I have been coddling Southern Indiana Representative Baron Hill since last August. I have sent his office over 1,000 signatures on petitions from his District and I have sent him a half dozen Resolutions passed in his District. His office has been playing the old "we'll say just enough to let her think we're supportive". I had a phone message last fall that Mr. Hill was relooking at the issue. I had an email just last week that they were talking to Mr. Chabot's office.

Then Monday I read in the Madison Courier newspaper and when asked if he would support the exemption his comment was and I quote "(I) will ask him (the committee chairman) to allow it for a vote"! What a joke!!! We all know that Oberstar is never going to allow a bill out of his committee either a stand alone or an amendment on a bill! Then Mr. Hill went on to say "a similar boat like the DELTA QUEEN caught fire on the Mississippi and people were killed".

Here is my response in an email to Ms. Kara Seward, an aide in Mr. Hill's office who tells me she keeps him apprised of situations:

Ms. Seward,

I can't tell you how irrate I am after reading the report in the Madison Courier about Mr. Hill's meeting on Saturday when he was questioned regarding his support of the SAVE THE DELTA QUEEN!

His comment that he would "Ask him (the committee chairman) to allow it for a vote", is a real joke! Anyone involved with the campaign knows that Oberstar will never allow the exemption request out of his committee to the floor for a vote!

And I'd sure like to know what boat similar to the DELTA QUEEN caught fire on the Mississippi and people were killed. Was it the SULTANA that burned in April, 1865!?!?!?!!?

I'll tell you what....Mr. Hill may be able to pull the wool over some folks eyes in Southern Indiana, but he hasn't been able to do it with me. As soon as I finish this email I will be contacting Mike Sodrel's campaign office and offering any services I can to help beat Mr. Hill next fall

I've been nice and cooperative and tried to educate Mr. Hill regarding this issue. Obviously the phone message I got from you last fall that Mr. Hill was relooking at the issue was a cover up as well as the email last week saying you were talking to Mr. Chabot's office?

Obviously Mr. Hill has one agenda and it's to make friends in Washington and not to represent his people back home in Indiana.

Every negative thing I've ever heard about politics and how things are run in Washington has been played out before my very eyes in my effort to help SAVE THE DELTA QUEEN.

Yes, I have a VERY bad taste in my mouth and I expect to go to my grave with it!

Signed, Jo Ann Withers Schoen

And in fact, I did immediately contact Mike Sodrel's campaign office. I promptly got a return call even before I told them I wanted to volunteer to do what my time would allow to help Mr. Sodrel get elected next fall.

They have already prepared a news release and I quote, "(Jeffersonville, IN) - Congressional Candidate Mike Sodrel released the following statement regarding the DELTA QUEEN and legislation in Congress to provide an exemption from federal regulation:

"The Delta Queen is a symbol of American history that should be allowed to continue to navigate the inland waters of the Unites States. She is an important asset to the tourism industry for the cities in my district that line the Ohio River.

"I support efforts in Congress to save the Delta Queen and urge members to vote to preserve this important piece of transportation history."

Needless to say I have not gotten a return email from Ms. Seward.

So now you know what I will be doing once we know the fate of the DELTA QUEEN. If you live in Southern Indiana please vote for Mr. Mike Sodrel for Representative next fall!!! This is not a paid political announcement!