Message Boards

Message Boards (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/)
-   River Talk & Cruises (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/river-talk-cruises/)
-   -   Come join us in Louisville/Jeffersonville (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/river-talk-cruises/97-come-join-us-louisville-jeffersonville.html)

Linda Fisher 05-23-2006 07:57 AM

Come join us in Louisville/Jeffersonville

History of the Belle of Louisville on July 1

12 Noon to 2 PM
A group tour on the Belle of Louisville will depart the Louisville waterfront at noon and return at 2:00 PM. Capt. Kevin Mullen promises some "extras" that day beyond the usual red carpet southern hospitality.
Call the Howard Museum for Reservations at 812-282-3728
Price $12.00 Adult, $11.00 Senior Citizen (60+) $6.00 Children 3-12 years

3 PM to 5:00 PM
PADDLING INTO THE PAST
A Slide and Sound Presentation at the Howard Museum of the early the history of the Belle of Louisville. The Belle was built in 1915 as the Idlewild, was renamed as the Avalon in 1950 and became the Belle of Louisville in 1962. The presentation will feature archival photos of the steamer from 1914 through 1961, archival B&W film footage of Idlewild, and color slide and film footage of the Avalon, along with audio recordings made aboard the steamer.

The Presentation will be conducted by the Dubuque, Iowa steamboat historian David Tschiggfrie and his son Jonathan. David is a retired math teacher and former crew member on the steamer Delta Queen.

A donation of $5.00 is requested.

Judy Patsch 05-24-2006 12:30 AM

AVALON/BELLE/Howard/Leonie weekend

Many of us already have our plans made for that glorious weekend, which is happening due to the efforts of Keith Norrington. Keith and Dave worked together on the DQ as watchmen and have kept up with each other over the years. Keith was unable to make it to Dubuque for the premiere of the Tschiggfrie Tschow for the Buffs, but he was able to work things out with Dave and Jonathan to 'tramp' their show to the Ohio. Presumably Keith will be the MC of this event and will shed more light on Tschiggfrie Sr. and Jr., AVALON historians without equal...

Keith Norrington 05-24-2006 08:48 AM

Dave Tschiggfrie and I have been good friends for over three decades, not to mention being fellow crew members on the DQ. People don't come any finer than Dave and I will always remember the kindness of Dave and his wonderful parents when I first visited Dubuque many years ago and they gave me the grand tour, including a trip on the Incline and a finale' of delicious ice cream before returning to the DQ. Like Judy Patsch, Mr. Joe Tschiggfrie was always at the landing, no matter the time, to do whatever errand might be needed by the DQ. Dave is a steamboat buff of the highest order and son Jonathan (who is an up and coming musician) has followed in those footsteps. A couple of years ago, while aboard the BELLE for an evening trip, Chief Kenny Howe was showing Jonathan the engines "up close" with all the usual steamboaty sounds and smells of the engineroom adding to the scene. The look on Jonathan's face was priceless as his beaming father looked at me and proudly said, "That kid is HOOKED!" Indeed, we'll have a great day of steamboating fun and fellowship on July 1st. Y'all come!!!

Shipyard Sam 06-02-2006 01:29 PM

Dave should have gotten his Mate's license years ago-- he was that good a steamboatman.

Keith Norrington 06-05-2006 09:18 AM

Just a "last call" reminder that the "Paddlin' Into the Past" program at the Howard Steamboat Museum is less than a month away! Reservations are coming in (seating is limited!) and if you haven't sent yours in yet, please call the museum at 812-283-3728 (888-472-0606 Toll Free) or visit the website at [url]www.steamboatmuseum.org[/url] for further information. Thanks!

Tom Schiffer 06-05-2006 10:51 AM

Linda: I want to make reservations but the number you have listed in your posting is incorrect per a nice lady at a trailer place. You have listed a 282 number. The nice lady at the trailer place looked it up and said that the correct number for the Howard Museum should be 283 3728. I think that you can use Franz's edit function to repair the posting.

Bex Carter 06-23-2006 09:36 AM

Belle of Louisville in August
My kids and I will be in Madison, Indiana aug 7 for three days and I was looking into a dinner trip on the Belle. It would be during the week and wondered how far is she from Madison and are there weekday trips? Our family was watching the movie "Madison" and saw the paddlewheeler and my husband said, which one is that? And I had to say it was the Belle. He was impressed that I knew which one it was. I am only glad to check out another steamboat and another river!!

Judy Patsch 06-23-2006 10:49 AM

Madison is about 46 river miles from Louisville. The BELLE runs a Thursday evening sunset/dinner cruise. Go to her website for details: [url]www.belleoflouisville.org[/url]