Steamboats.org Homepage  
  not logged in.
           forgot password?

Hotel Recommendation New Orleans

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-22-2007, 09:55 PM

Location: Northern California above Lake Oroville on "Dewey Mountain"

Here's Judy's lost post (I saved it for reference, and she asked me to repost it) Enjoy!--Oh, and MANY thanks to Judy for her wonderful suggestions!
S'
David Dewey

I don't know who those people are who say 2 days in NOLA is plenty - I can never be there long enough. ALMOST ALL THE TOURIST ATTRACTIONS ARE OPEN!!!! Yes, the city is still devastated, but what most people come to see and do is just waiting for you! Because of the lack of business, hours are often curtailed, so you need to check on that close to your time there, don't go by old brochures. One popular thing that isn't running is the St. Charles Avenue Streetcar, but the Canal St. and Riverfront Lines are operational. If you have a rental car, you can drive the route of the ST. Charles car and view the Garden District. Or you could take a Grayline Tour of it, as well as of many other things. There is a daylong combo called Paddle and Wheel, which gives you a pretty comprehensive city tour followed by a ride on the NATCHEZ. There are also plantation tours, which take up a full day, as the plantations are up River Road some 30 miles and more. Grayline also has the bus tour of the devastated areas. There are walking tours in the French Quarter, nightly walking Ghost Tours(bunch of bs, but very popular), the buggy rides through the FQ. So you could take up 2 days or more just doing tours. Now for things open to do on your own:
ride the NATCHEZ; walk the FQ and admire the Spanish architecture and balconies; walk the FQ for the shops; walk Bourbon St. for whatever; visit the Aquarium of the Americas; do the Audubon Zoo; walk through beautiful Audubon Park, a 2 mile circle under the live oak trees; visit the French Market; eat beignets at Cafe du Monde; get breakfast or lunch at Croissant d'Or on Ursulines; dine at one of the many fine restaurants in the FQ, too numerous to name, or out in the Garden District at Commanders Palace; listen to the Preservation Hall Band after 8PM; ride the Canal St. ferry and catch the shuttle to Blaine Kern's Mardi Gras World and walk among the floats in various stages of readiness(yearround); tour the Beauregard Keyes(Patsch) House 1113 Chartres 10-3; tour the Gallier House 1100s Royal St.; tour the Ursuline Convent 1100 Chartres - all 3 within a block of each other in the FQ; the Wax Museum on Conti; the National World War II Museum(formerly the D-Day Museum), a day in itself for history buffs; drive up the River Road on your own, start up by Nottoway at Donaldsonville and work your way back visiting one plantation after another(lunch at the Cabin Restaurant near Houmas House), cross over the river via ferry or stay on one side all the way back; drive down to Chalmette to tour the Chalmette Battlefield, site of the Battle of New Orleans; pass a good time at Mulate's Cajun Restaurant and Dance Hall; buy a muffaletta at Central Grocery and eat it on a bench on the Moonwalk while watching the ships and river traffic negotiate the deepest part of the whole Mississippi River... yeah, I guess they needed only 2 days for this! As to hotels, the one that I send my friends to is LeRichelieu, 1224 Chartres. Its a family run place, about 70 rooms, with a special charm. Its not the high end like you mentioned with Royal Sonesta. Omni Bourbon Orleans, LeProvencial, DeLaPoste would be high end FQ places. The 5 star hotel is across Canal St.: Windsor Court. There are so many new places that I'm not familiar with, but if you'd go to www.nola.com , there is a hotel guide on that site. As long as you don't hit Mardi Gras, Jazzfest, or a huge convention, you should be able to get decent rates. One other high end b&B hotel - Paul Newman always stays there, is the Soniat House 1133 Chartres. Hope this gives you a bit of guidance... The NATCHEZ and other attractions are ready and eager to serve you, and are fighting desperately to dismiss this notion that there is nothing to see and do now in NOLA...