Steamboats.org Homepage  
  not logged in.
           forgot password?

DQ Musical Memory Lane, Southern Edition

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-16-2007, 02:49 PM

Default DQ Musical Memory Lane, Southern Edition

Today's tape was from July 1982, a cruise from Pittsburgh to NOLA. This was the only summer I wasn't able to do a UMR trip, none scheduled until fall, so I went on the Ohio and then down the lower Miss. One Texas Lounge session featured bird songs, as Dan Forman brought his two birds, and Alice's one, up for our viewing. Mom and Vic were on vacation again (although Col.Tooker might have been on one of his super secret CIA missions), so Dan was the leader. Other members of the band included Howard Kadisson on drums, Phil Gomez on sax/clarinet, Reggie Evans on trumpet, and Lowell Schreyer on banjo. Lowell is from Mankato Minnesota and he was a member of the Turkey River All Stars. Anyone remember this group? They were mostly doctors at the Mayo Clinic and Les Fields was their leader. I loved their motto: We want to play for you in the worst way! They would often sit in when we were in Winona or Wabasha, and one time they were awaiting us on the levee at Prairie, I think, with suitcases in hand. Turned out the office booked them for an overnight and didn't tell the boat crew. Henry Mitchell had to shuffle some people around to make room for them, but he did it. Lowell is a historian and was writing a book about the history of the banjo, so he used his DQ time to visit local library microfilms for information. Lowell's daughter Debbie would sit in as a teenager. She is now a professional banjo player, in the DC area, I believe. As usual, Dan was carrying on banter with Cruise Director Terry Severns and whomever else he could target between songs, and at one point the unmistakable laugh of Ann Zeiger is heard. At the end of that cruise I did my usual one-night stayover in NOLA to ride the NATCHEZ, and Doc uttered words he has lived to regret: Why don't you come down and stay for more than a day sometime? I came down for 4 days that New Years, and the rest is history...