Steamboats.org Homepage  
  not logged in.
           forgot password?

Good News from New Orleans & Point Pleasant

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-29-2006, 07:39 AM

Location: On the "Beautiful Ohio" at New Albany, Indiana, opposite Louisville, Kentucky
Default Good News from New Orleans & Point Pleasant

Capt. Doc Hawley phoned last evening and we chatted for at least an hour. Doc, who is not online, requested me to post in his behalf, as he wishes to share, with his many friends up and down the rivers, the good news that he received yesterday. The results of recent medical tests concerning his esophagus revealed that he is OK. Doc said that 2007 will certainly begin as a HAPPY new year for him and he wishes to convey that sentiment to all. He said that New Orleans is the busiest he's seen it since Katrina and that many people are flowing into town for ballgames. The NATCHEZ is back in business after her recent drydocking and they hope many of the visitors will take a steamboat ride.

I'd hardly hung up the phone when Capt. Charles Henry Stone called. He, in his usual humor, had me in stitches. As many know, he's had some recent and lengthy hospital stays, one of which included a pacemaker, but is doing OK. He says he now "runs on electricity!" Capt. Charles Henry said that he and Miss Jean, who has also been under the weather, didn't get out many holiday cards, so asked me to convey his good wishes to his multitude of friends along the rivers. He's been busy with the Point Pleasant River Museum and signing the new edition of his book on the Marietta Manufacturing Company, which is available at the museum gift shop. The museum is growing by leaps and bounds to the point that an addition to the building is about to commence. It's a great museum and loaded with river treasures.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL and KEEP UP STEAM!

Keith