Message Boards

Message Boards (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/)
-   River Talk & Cruises (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/river-talk-cruises/)
-   -   MAL website online (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/river-talk-cruises/766-mal-website-online.html)

Carmen 12-05-2006 12:16 PM

MAL website online

Hi all,

[url]http://www.majesticamericaline.com/[/url]

Anyone seeking for a job? Nearly all positions are open. I didnīt see any entertainers (except guest entertainers) or - sorry, Mary and Travis - Riverlorians!

The new logo: a swan!

Carmen

Frank X. Prudent 12-05-2006 12:48 PM

Would someone please tell MAL that the DELTA QUEEN is not, "The last operational steam paddlewheeler in America." This does not bode well for the MQ and AQ; not to mention, the grasp that MAL management has of its boats is somewhat (sic) lacking! :-(

Judy Patsch 12-05-2006 02:33 PM

Has Don Deming been reincarnated???? The historic ship's bell from Mark Twain's boats is on the DQ? Presidents Truman, Carter, and Hoover dancing on the DQ????? and as to the last operational steam sternwheeler Frank, so long Belle, Julia Belle and Natchez, I guess!.... hopefully the new symbol doesn't mean the swan song for the Queens.... Its obvious they're reaching for a new group of passengers, those without a clue about steamboats and river history, so these blurbs will do just fine in attracting them. Did anyone get the 2007 brochure this week, still under the DQ Steamboat Co. logo, which included an insert of specials on spring cruises, like $1200 for a 7 night AQ cruise, and several more on all three Queens for under $2000? Is this a valid promotion, as I thought they said earlier there wouldn't be any discounts????

Bill Judd 12-05-2006 07:28 PM

Maybe MAL people have read Don's tales and assume like hundreds of his audiences at lectures that its the truth !!

There maybe a connection with Mark Twain and the DQ bell though. This has been kicked around with the "wise men" at S & D several times. It's certain that no connection exists with any boat Sam Clemens served on as steersman or pilot, but possibly connects to his trip in 1882.

The boat Clemens rode from St. Louis to New Orleans on in 1882 was the Str. Gold Dust, an Anchor Line boat, built by Howards. Now the Gold Dust exploded in August of 1882. Just a few months later the Str. City of St. Louis was completed at Howards for the Anchor Line. There has been speculation that the Gold Dust bell was placed on the new boat. We do know for sure that the Str. City of St. Louis bell went on the Str. Queen City, then to the towboat John W. Hubbard ( now Mike Finks) and then to the DQ. Anybody with more thoughts on subject ???

Pat Traynor 12-05-2006 08:47 PM

The amusing part is that the special prices had to be booked by September
30, 2006 - kind of hard to do when we just received the information in December! I've been trying to get them to send a 2007 brochure since June.

Another new owner, and a new name - but they're still using the same old pictures.

Carmen 12-06-2006 01:15 AM

I signed up for all three brochures yesterday. Letīs see if they send them over to Germany! I also signed up for the email newsletter. The last I heard of DQSC was an email with offers for the two Thanksgiving cruises.

BTW 3rd/4th bed including children are $150 per night (like it was on AWSC).

Carmen

Bruno Krause 12-06-2006 06:57 AM

Judy, Deb and I received a postcard special offering on Monday with the name DQSC all over it offering 20% off and free air on all DQ/MQ/AQ cruises through mid-May. If memory serves as I don't have the postcard here at work, the special is good for all cruises except for one cruise with each boat, typically the end of April, for the DQ I suspect this would be the Belle race. And you have to book before December 21st to get the special, I believe. It sounds like your insert you received is the same one Deb and I got.

It is funny that the special was not addressed to us but to a close friend of my Dad's wife. We have a DQ cruise booked for my Dad's wife and her friend to give them a 'taste'. As far as American Classic Voyages, DQSC, Delaware North or MAL, the Krause's have never existed. We never receive anything from the company unless I repeatedly request it from the website. Strange appreciation of customers, don't you think? The Paddlewheeler? Never seen one.

You received a 2007 brochure? I just requested one as well as registering my email address on the new website. Maybe this time we'll be on their radar...

Bruno

Keith Baylor 12-06-2006 10:25 AM

Wonder why MAL appears to be advertising for so much help - nearly every single position on the boat? Aren't the boats well-staffed (or well-"crewed") already?

Bruce MacCullagh 12-06-2006 10:48 AM

[QUOTE=Keith Baylor;2606]Aren't the boats well-staffed (or well-"crewed") already?[/QUOTE]

I wondered the same thing, but then I remembered that they just purchased more than just the Mississippi River System fleet, and may need additional help in other regions of the country.

Carmen 12-06-2006 11:16 AM

Keith,
Bruce,

I think everyone has been laid off by the end of the season. DN did operate the boats until the end of the season. So all employees need a new contract with the new company.

Carmen