Message Boards

Message Boards (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/)
-   River Talk & Cruises (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/river-talk-cruises/)
-   -   MERANDA-WINIFRED for Sale (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/river-talk-cruises/67-meranda-winifred-sale.html)

Shipyard Sam 05-14-2006 08:07 AM

MERANDA-WINIFRED for Sale

The 72' Dravo-built sternwheel towboat MERANDA (WINIFRED) is for sale for "only" $35K.. Didn't it sell for around 4g's not too long ago?

Shipyard Sam 05-14-2006 12:15 PM

The phone numbers are : (859) 442-8111 or 743-8861, Dayton, KY.

Shipyard Sam 05-14-2006 08:52 PM

MEREADA is Right Name

[QUOTE=Shipyard Sam]The 72' Dravo-built sternwheel towboat MERANDA (WINIFRED) is for sale for "only" $35K.. Didn't it sell for around 4g's not too long ago?[/QUOTE]

Name's M. S. MEREADA, not MERANDA, like in "reading the Meranda Rights" to someone astray of the law, as like the Rabbit Hash Sheriff has to do on multiple occasion of a Saturday night when the moon is full.

To quote the Inland River Record:
" Sternwheel yacht, b. 1930 by Dravo Contracting Co., Neville Island, PA. Rebuilt 1986; reb. 1995. 97 X 17. GM 6-71 diesel, 165 hp. Allison red. 4.5:1. Orig. towboat WINIFRED, owned by Dravo. Sold Jan. 1960 to Winifred Marine, Inc., Ludlow, KY. Sold 1986, reb., with three decks to push passenger barge; owned by Barleycorn's Marine, Inc., Ludlow. Sold 1995, rebuilt and renamed by Jack Gratsch, Cincinnati. 230153."

Now here's a historic sternwheeler that is within reason for an enterprising person, or persons, to save from the scrap heap. In 1978, I piloted the WINIFRED to Louisville for the owner, with a stop at Payne Hollow for a visit with Harlan and Anna Hubbard. The owner John (pronounced "Ribbon Yard") and Flatboat Bela Berty and I followed Harlan out to his studio to look at some painting he had for sale. Long, thick snakes hung in festoons from the gutters of the small outbuilding, and Harlan warned us to be careful of more snakes possibly reposing in-between the stacks of paintings inside. None were, thank goodness. John bought several of Harlan's precious, but inexpensive, oil paintings, and even Bela, then a deckhand on the MQ, was able to afford one. Our visit with the Hubbards was one of the most delightful afternoons I ever experienced, and when their large, red Irish setter came busting through the door, and rolled a freshly-killed ground hog across the floor, Harlan casually added, "Guess we'll have him for dinner." Soon after, our party retired to the WINIFRED, but I ran back up the bank to give Harlan my blue, long-sleeve DELTA QUEEN work shirt. Back aboard, we backed out and continued on to L'ville. That was the only time I was at Payne Hollow while the Hubbards lived there.

Wayne White 05-14-2006 10:25 PM

Great story and thanks for sharing it !

Shipyard Sam 05-15-2006 09:57 AM

Harlan Hubbard's Studio

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH]14[/ATTACH]

Thick, fat snakes festooned the roof of Harlan's studio in Payne Hollow. "Watch out for snakes," he cautioned as we entered his studio crammed with paintings piled along the walls. Cautiously, we separated the canvases and marveled at the art treasures that now grace museum walls and private collections.

Steve Huffman 05-15-2006 02:32 PM

Sam,
I heard that the WINIFRED was auctioned for only $2500 about a year ago. It would be a nice "project" boat if the hull were in better shape. Hope someone can save it, although there is little left on it that is original.

Edward Ray 05-20-2006 12:30 PM

Steve

How about posting a "photo" if you have one.
Regards, Ed Ray

Shipyard Sam 05-20-2006 10:49 PM

Winifred

[URL="http://groups.msn.com/WillieandBustersWhirlwindTouroftheWorld/paddlewheeltowboats.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=4014"]http://groups.msn.com/WillieandBustersWhirlwindTouroftheWorld/paddlewheeltowboats.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=4014[/URL]

Alan Bates 05-21-2006 08:45 AM

That dog's name was Ranger. He brought in a raccoon one time when I was there and we ate coon livers for lunch. They were very good a crispy.
Ranger patrolled the Hubbard estate. On another visit he met Bert Fenn and Me at the plank footbridge. He came to me and took my left arm into his mouth, very gently, then released it. I interpreted that to mean, "You are welcome here, but don't try anything nasty!"

Steve Huffman 05-21-2006 06:51 PM

WINIFRED photos(?)

3 Attachment(s)
I'm trying to figure-out how to attach images. Hopefully there will be some in this message.. It's a pain to resize photos down to make the message board accept them. If it worked, I have attached a recent photo of the WINIFRED as the M.S. MEREADA (taken by Capt Don Sanders last year), a photo of the WINIFRED in a lock in the mid-1960s, and a view of the gutted interior taken by Aaron Richardson in 2003.