Message Boards

Message Boards (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/)
-   River Talk & Cruises (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/river-talk-cruises/)
-   -   Bad Ice (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/river-talk-cruises/5750-bad-ice.html)

Bill Judd 01-15-2018 09:25 PM

Bad Ice

In addition to the 17 barges jammed at Emsworth and the forty plus loose below Wheeling now word comes that Capt. Ruble has lost his two sternwheelers at Belpre, Ohio (Parkersburg). Ice cut down the M/V Blennerhassett and the M/V Centenial. The upper end of the Ohio is putting on quite a show.

R. Dale Flick 01-16-2018 08:37 AM

*Ice moving this way?*
Morning, Steamboating colleagues,
Thanks, Capt. Bill Judd for the above 'ice report,' loss of sternwheelers. Tough break for Capt. Ruble. If this cold continues, how long until the ice reaches here? Ummm...guess it jams up behind the dams. Sounding, feeling like the classic winter of 1917/1918.

R. Dale Flick
Old Coal Haven Landing, Ohio River, Cincinnati.

Bob Reynolds 01-16-2018 12:51 PM

The Illinois is showing out, too. Though much less unusual than the Ohio icing up, this year is pretty bad as far as ice goes on the Illinois. And of course thatís where I am right now.

Becky Morgan 01-17-2018 09:43 AM

Pictures of Captain Ruble's boats in this morning's [I]Wheeling[/I] [I]Intelligencer[/I] show both listing to starboard and lower decks partly under, but neither looks crushed. It almost looks like the stage is twisted on the one closer to shore, but that could be photo angle.

When I was out Monday, one of the sunk barges was here just above Mile 105, sticking bow up out of the river like those old shipwreck posters (the river was 33 feet at the time.) If it isn't blocking the channel it's missing a good chance. When I looked from the Moundsville bridge, another one was in the same position halfway to Shadyside and a third barge was chunked up against the West Virginia bank like the river had slapped it sideways. Our creek had six-inch-thick table top slabs going down in the big rain, but the river had parking lots going by.

Captain Way did say he didn't think Allegheny ice would stop for God or the Continental Congress.

R. Dale Flick 01-18-2018 10:09 AM

Steamboating colleagues,
Thanks, Bill, Bob and Becky for fine reports on the current ice situation. Fred Way so right in his comment, "Don't think Allegheny ice would stop for God or the Continental Congress." And that says it all. I drove Kellogg and Eastern Ave here Monday heading into town but couldn't see what was in the river here due to the swirling snow. Wonder what Judy Patsch has to report on the UMR? She once called it "The Rock Island tundra" and I never forgot that. CHEERS!

R. Dale Flick
Old Coal Haven Landing, Ohio River, Cincinnati.

Jim Blum 01-18-2018 06:20 PM

Ice running in St Louis Harbor this afternoon with Sun out--finally--and car showing 40 F............around 1615 as I motored Wharf Street Bridge.

Gage (0600) Poster was 0.06R. Last week when way way cold Gordon's Stbd fwd hull was starting to show a just a bit. That observation made from Wharf St at closed & chained entrance upriver of Morgan St.

Judy Patsch 01-19-2018 05:02 PM

Middle UMR

Not much to report, haven't been by river much, been dealing with a naughty calico.....the usual ice cover is above Dam 15, but below it just has occasional patches of ice along the RI shore. Wednesday I observed normal ice on the Illinois shore at Port Byron, but the TWILIGHT sat in flowing water, which extended the length of LeClaire. Just above the town there was some normal ice but nothing to report. The ice looked thicker at Clinton, but not because it is north about 40 miles - its because it is north of the Cordova Nuclear Power Plant which keeps the water temp a degree or two warmer below it. Capt. Kevin says if they ever shut the plant down, he'll have to winter the TWILIGHT elsewhere as ice will form around her. So basically, looks like a normal winter's river as I see it...

Russ Ryle 01-20-2018 11:58 AM

1918 Ice on the Ohio River

2 Attachment(s)
100 years ago during the big ice: Buckeye Landing below Rising Sun, Indiana before and after the 1918 ice.

Bill Judd 01-20-2018 04:12 PM

Hi Russ. Very interesting photo of coal barges at Buckeye Ldg. Never knew that there was that much activity there. What was the story of that dock and why out there and not in Rising Sun ??

Russ Ryle 01-20-2018 08:26 PM

More about Buckeye Landing

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Bill.

In that era, c1900 to 1918, Rising Sun had two wharf boats and a private boat dock, Whitlock's, on its river front. This map is from about 1920. Buckeye Landing was on the same property as the Arnold's Creek light. These were back in the day before any dams. There was a big bar on the Kentucky side at Rising Sun complicating things as well. It was nothing like it is today except the light still is in use.

Long story short at Buckeye below town you were on the upriver end of a long curve in the river where there was a good mostly mud flat river bottom just above Arnold's Creek. The river was much wider below town below the bar. Also, the river bank was more favorable for access to barges.

Great great grandfather and his brother ran the operation as well as a general store and wharf boat just down river at North's Landing.

More details at theryles.com showing "The River At Rising Sun".

Those were the days ......

Best regards, Russ Ryle