Message Boards

Message Boards (
-   River Talk & Cruises (
-   -   *FORBES list of top river cruise lines* (

R. Dale Flick 12-02-2017 08:31 AM

*FORBES list of top river cruise lines*
Steamboating colleagues,
Don't know how many of you received/saw it two days ago but FORBES [Wall Street, financial etc.] posted on the homepage/news of BING search their list of 'Top river cruise lines.' [Ohio/Mississippi rivers, Columbia River etc.] The first at the top were AMERICAN QUEEN CO. and AMERICAN CRUISE LINES [ACL]. Others listed were on European and foreign rivers. Web links below these moved on to big 'blue water' cruise lines. This time of year cruise lines focus on promotions for those commanding disposable incomes for late fall, winter, spring trips. FORBES commentary had one statement, "These lines are doing it right" meaning AQ and ACL. NO mention of any proposed river cruise boats from VIKING RIVER CRUISES as was broadcast a year or so ago. ACL also moving into cruises on the GREAT LAKES, East and Gulf Coast on the waterway. I only know what I read and hear.

R. Dale Flick
Old Coal Haven Landing, Ohio River, Cincinnati.

Jim Reising 12-03-2017 11:36 AM

Hopefully in a couple of years the DQSC can knock the AQ out of the top spot.

Carmen 12-03-2017 01:57 PM

The last Ive read it that Viking was not successful getting an exemption from the Jones Act/PVSA. In 2016 they said the Mississippi river ships will come in 2018. I think the last was 2019... Just to remember they wanted to have their first boat in 2015.

R. Dale Flick 12-04-2017 06:02 AM

*VIKING RIVER plans & reality*
Morning, Steamboating colleagues:
Thanks, Carmen, for 'insights' on your end. VIKING did send company representatives here to the states to visit our Mississippi, Ohio etc. river systems for a first-hand look along with talking to one or more veteran rivermen we know who are also grounded in business. Reports were direct to me that VIKING had their eyes opened as to the differences, dynamics, issues in constructing vessels here for service following the same design as on European rivers. Apparently, from my reports, it came rather as a shock to them seeing, hearing what they did. Requirements by our U.S. Coast Guard for construction, operation were also pointed out to them. VIKING's expectations of river towns and cities here building docks like the quays on European rivers for 'side loaded' not workable along with their not understanding the varying river level variations here, lessen the vessel weights, install larger fresh water tanks, use bow swinging stages and not side loading as in Europe. Also NO passenger cruise cabins at the water level below the main deck so close to the river water. I could go on and on but won't. I do wish them well as they have a fine cruise product as you know. No doubt this runs counter to the support of the DELTA QUEEN for exemption and eventual operation. I only know what I see, hear, read. Who knows?

R. Dale Flick

Judy Patsch 12-04-2017 08:58 AM

Viking's eyeopening
Viking talked to Doc about the operating conditions. They were shocked that all their possible stops didn't already have docks/wharves against which to land. He told them of the necessity of a swinging gangplank, which does not fit into their image. They also discussed the wildly varying river levels and other facets of navigation. Of course the big obstacles were/are not getting their shell company in Los Angeles to suffice for them being an American owned operation and not being allowed to build boats in Europe and ship them here. They romanced several river towns about building docks. Luckily most didn't fall for the overture. Davenport's mayor did, and was willing to commit about $100,000 for it, thinking they'd bring in such big tourism bucks. Fortunately he did not win reelection and the current mayor has more sense.

Bob Reynolds 12-04-2017 12:51 PM

And as someone who is doing some home improvement right now, I am here to tell you that $100,000 would evaporate like alcohol in Las Vegas in June.

R. Dale Flick 12-06-2017 06:05 AM

*VIKING eyeopening/Home improvement*
Morning, Steamboating colleagues,
Judy, Carmen and Bob's above comments are on the money [No pun intended]. I'd previously talked by phone with 'Doc' Hawley when he mentioning his face-to-face discussions with the representative from VIKING RIVER CRUISES RE: their 'plans and thinking' for introducing their cruise product and vessels to our American rivers. And VC couldn't have found a better man with experience, insights and basic knowledge than Doc. Their "eyeopening" came as a shock hearing from an expert with years of on the river and behind the desk experience that Capt. Clarke C. 'Doc' Hawley has had. They also learned that not all river landings come with fresh municipal water in mains close at hand. Doc informed them that many previous water outlets had been lost due to silting over, revamping of landings and streets close by. VIKING's expectation for cities and towns to construct concrete 'quay like' landing facilities totally unworkable here in comparison to the side landing quays on European rivers. VIKING also 'came to the well begging' here and had a rude awakening. In essence, a totally different playing field here compared to Europe. And, according to another un-named person in the American travel industry who interviewed VIKING representative, they [VIKING] had a rather inflexible mind set with unreasonable expectations for their proposed boat scheduling, expectations of crew from top down. Yet, that's why we have people like Doc and others to share their experience and knowledge. I hope Doc, as a consultant to VIKING, was compensated in more than a few ways. Make no mistake, VIKING is a fine company not only in their river cruise division but now on the high seas with their award-wining 'blue water' ships--but you'll pay for it. Again, that's all I heard and know. CHEERS!

R. Dale Flick

R. Dale Flick 12-07-2017 08:08 AM

*ACL's image increasing in media*
Steamboating colleagues,
No doubt many of you have seen the increasing squibs for ACL [American Cruise Lines] on national TV networks [PBS, Smithsonian etc.] in addition to full ads in leading magazines and journals, newspaper travel sections. Several homepages on internet like GOOGLE, BING, CINCINNATI BELL/ZOOMTOWN now also carry full ads with 'links' to click for further information. Again, as the recent FORBES piece mentions, "These companies are doing it right" also including AMERICAN QUEEN. I had my eyes opened clicking ACL to see the profile of their company, various marine divisions, cruises, pricing, comfort creatures aboard their vessels. The winter issue of 'PowerShips' [Steamship Historical Society of America] also has squibs on ACL with their present vessels under construction and future vessels planned. And we can't lay all of this just on ACL hiring a congressional lobbyist. Any company their size would be a fool not to hire a lobbyist. I take no stand either way with both companies as a cheering section. Never dismiss your competitor burying heads in the sand making sure you know what they are doing. Again, I only know what I see, read, hear. CHEERS!

R. Dale Flick