not logged in.
           forgot password?

*HAPAG-LLOYD enters Great Lakes market*

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-05-2017, 11:58 AM

Default *HAPAG-LLOYD enters Great Lakes market*

Steamboating colleagues,
May not be steamboats as such, but a ship bulletin in here today informs us that venerable HAPAG-LLOYD will be entering the U.S. Great Lakes cruising market October, 2019 with the appearance of their new 230 passenger cruise ship HANSEATIC IMAGINATION. This new ship the first appearance by HAPAG-LLOYD on the Great Lakes in ten years. The ship will be marketed appealing to U.S. and international cruise clients. No actual photos or designs of the vessel yet other than schematic renderings of her rather impressive cabin suites. Likewise no cruise fares or booking information as of yet. The present company dates its history to 1970 and earlier in Germany to 1847 & 1856. Long renowned for fine ships and service.

I saw a previous ship of the line anchored with tenders on Lake Michigan ten years ago shuttling passengers to and fro. Visually I was impressed ranking the one I saw as an 'intermediate sized' vessel. Being off-shore, no visitors had access. The season for cruising on the Great Lakes limited by seasons and weather--yet must be a market to offer. Most previous older passenger steamships on our Great Lakes operated from May to October. With recent events in expanding 'blue water' ships, and those on our inland rivers, it confirms my belief the varied market is growing fast. And with that comes the sale to those with the discretion of disposable incomes. We shall see. No doubt Franz and Carmen know more from their end. This, I do know now.

R. Dale Flick
Old Coal Haven Landing, Ohio River, Cincinnati.