Message Boards

Message Boards (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/)
-   River Talk & Cruises (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/river-talk-cruises/)
-   -   *HAPAG-LLOYD enters Great Lakes market* (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/river-talk-cruises/5722-hapag-lloyd-enters-great-lakes-market.html)

R. Dale Flick 09-05-2017 11:58 AM

*HAPAG-LLOYD enters Great Lakes market*

Steamboating colleagues,
May not be steamboats as such, but a ship bulletin in here today informs us that venerable HAPAG-LLOYD will be entering the U.S. Great Lakes cruising market October, 2019 with the appearance of their new 230 passenger cruise ship HANSEATIC IMAGINATION. This new ship the first appearance by HAPAG-LLOYD on the Great Lakes in ten years. The ship will be marketed appealing to U.S. and international cruise clients. No actual photos or designs of the vessel yet other than schematic renderings of her rather impressive cabin suites. Likewise no cruise fares or booking information as of yet. The present company dates its history to 1970 and earlier in Germany to 1847 & 1856. Long renowned for fine ships and service.

I saw a previous ship of the line anchored with tenders on Lake Michigan ten years ago shuttling passengers to and fro. Visually I was impressed ranking the one I saw as an 'intermediate sized' vessel. Being off-shore, no visitors had access. The season for cruising on the Great Lakes limited by seasons and weather--yet must be a market to offer. Most previous older passenger steamships on our Great Lakes operated from May to October. With recent events in expanding 'blue water' ships, and those on our inland rivers, it confirms my belief the varied market is growing fast. And with that comes the sale to those with the discretion of disposable incomes. We shall see. No doubt Franz and Carmen know more from their end. This, I do know now.

R. Dale Flick
Old Coal Haven Landing, Ohio River, Cincinnati.

Bob Reynolds 09-05-2017 01:06 PM

This appeals to me, Dale! I'm assuming since they are foreign-flagged, they must call at Canadian ports as well to be compliant with the Jones Act. Interesting!

R. Dale Flick 09-05-2017 02:33 PM

*HAPAG-LLOYD & 'Jones Act*
Hi, Capt. Bob,
Appeals to me also as I steamed the Great Lakes some 50 years ago on the then venerable steamship SOUTH AMERICAN. The MOR group have taken us on two trips across and back over Lake Michigan on the steamship BADGER. I only hope that prospective passengers realize that our Great Lakes in a blow can be as rough as the ocean. Yachtsmen under sale in lakes races have found that out.

As to the 'Jones Act' I'm not certain now. My understanding that a number of influential U.S. Senate members were working to 're-work' the Jones act to eliminate, delete many of what are considered "restraints, limitations." I 'thought' Sen. John McCain [?] was one. I don't know. Anybody out there reading this who does? I only know what I read--and hear.

R. Dale Flick
Old coal Haven Landing, Ohio River, Cincinnati.

Frank X. Prudent 09-06-2017 12:31 AM

Dale, it was the c.COLUMBUS that HAPAG-Lloyd marketed on the Great Lakes a number of years ago. She about filled op the locks of the Welland Canal. As you stated that German company has a long tradition of excellence.

And I'm with Bob; I'd love to go sail the Great Lakes. I've traveled by highway up the west coast of Michigan, and it would be a delight to arrive at the little towns that dot its coast by water. Saugatuck, Holland, Ludington, Frankfort, Harbor Springs, Leelanau all have their charms. The Upper Peninsula too has its quaint little towns worth exploring, and of course Mackinac Island is a historic gem.

Delta Queen Coastal Voyages' old CAPE MAY LIGHT is trading there as the Bahamian registered VICTORY I this year. Her prices make the AMERICAN QUEEN's fare look miniscule in comparison, so I don't expect to be trodding her decks anytime in the near future. But if HAPAG's latest entry is reasonably priced, and offers good itineraries I just might have to go!

R. Dale Flick 09-06-2017 06:11 AM

*HAPAG-LLOYD on Great Lakes*
Morning, Frank!
Thanks for your always on the mark input and thinking. You know we have the summer home up on Lake Leelanau/Leland at Lake Michigan and just returned home last Monday. Years back I could hear on quiet foggy nights the steam whistles on the big lake freighters navigating the Manitou Channel behind the islands for safe haven. The steam whistles all gone now and I don't even hear the modern air models due to officers communicating by phone. The lake ports: villages, towns, cities have great appeal, scenic with history to offer. Highway M-22 circling the peninsula up there considered one of the most beautiful drives in America. Last time the H-L ship was in ten years ago they had large tour buses to meet the passengers at docks and piers for regional tours to sites, wineries etc. My trip on the incredible but now long defunct steamship SOUTH AMERICAN was one memorable experience. Again, the northern locales, seasons limit the Great lakes cruising season from May to, at most, middle to late October. After that it's get the heck out of town. Europeans visiting here are amazed, enthralled at the size of our Great Lakes. See you in Marietta for S&D!

R. Dale Flick

Bob Reynolds 09-06-2017 07:56 AM

I got to looking, and found this. This appears to be the ship, now under construction, Hapag-Lloyd will use for the Great Lakes.: [url]https://www.hl-cruises.com/ships/expeditions/hanseatic-nature-hanseatic-inspiration[/url]

Carmen 09-07-2017 04:07 AM

Hapag-Lloyd is currently building two new expedition ships, Hanseatic nature and Hanseatic inspiration. Both ships are coming in 2019. One of the ships will be bilingual (German and English) and the other one German.

We already received the brochure and the itineraries are great (o.k., the prices "too" - but itīs luxury cruising at its best - we have been on Columbus 2, Bremen, Europa 2 and Europa).

Carmen

R. Dale Flick 09-07-2017 08:18 AM

*HAPAG-LLOYD 'new builds'*
Morning, Carmen!
Thanks for adding your above following my earlier posting. I've seen several of the above vessels you mention. Years back I also recalled seeing in New York and various ports other H-L ships. One was the last EUROPA, one fine ship. When the liner UNITED STATES when in service had an alternating schedule from New York with stops in British or French ports; then on to Bremerhaven. I also remember seeing when I sailed from New York as many as eight fine liners tied up on the Hudson River. That now a long time ago. Cheers!

R.Dale Flick