Message Boards

Message Boards (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/)
-   River Talk & Cruises (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/river-talk-cruises/)
-   -   Trump at Coal Haven (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/river-talk-cruises/5698-trump-coal-haven.html)

Frank X. Prudent 06-07-2017 02:20 PM

Trump at Coal Haven

Trump today gave a speech standing at what years ago would have been Marmet's Landing above downtown Cincinnati. He highlighted the need for infrastructure improvements in America and particularly the river systems. I can fully agree with him on this one! The devil is in the details, and with Trump's plan it could mean fees to use the upgraded locks and dams with the public/private financing he proposes. Also how this squares with the Northwest Ordinance allowing free use of the rivers covered by this early law might be for the courts to decide.

R. Dale Flick 06-07-2017 04:01 PM

*Trump at ole'Coal Haven Landing today*
Hi, Frank!
Thanks for notifiying our .org gang about President Trump's stop in Cincinnati today landing at Lunken Airport on Wilmer Ave adjacent to ole' Coal Haven Landing, MARMET Landing etc. Agree with you "the devil is in the details" and ALL river interests, river and boat supporters should watch and listen closely. I'm suspicious that current aspirations in Washington, D.C. could well 'try' to negate, pass over long existing laws stemming back to the Northwest Ordinance as you mention above. The day was when ole' Coal Haven was a busy, bustling, hard working, gritty part of town in the East End linked to the steamboats, coal fleets, nearby rail yards at Underclift.
R. Dale Flick
Ole Coal Haven Landing, Ohio River, Cincinnati

Jim Blum 06-07-2017 06:14 PM

Dale, could you enlighten us on details of how POTUS "landed" at Lunken Airport. Don't think Lunken Airport has a runway that will accomodate a 747, unless a lot of runway work has been done since I last dined in the restaurant in the "terminal".

Bill Judd 06-07-2017 08:42 PM

Capt.Jim: Airforce One was a C32A/ 757 for today

Jim Reising 06-08-2017 08:31 AM

Frank, the rivers aren't really "free". Although there are no tolls for using locks, there is a federal fuel tax on commercial vessels which half goes into the general fund and the other half goes into a trust fund for maintaining and building of waterway improvements.
When I retired a few years ago it was $.20 a gallon, I'm not sure what it is now.

R. Dale Flick 06-08-2017 08:42 AM

*Lunken runways/President landing*
Steamboating colleagues,
Jim, indeed larger aircraft can land at Lunken field here. Some years ago they did extend the runway and Bill Judd may know more. Some years back they even landed one of the huge Air Force cargo jets [C5A?] successfully. I'm pretty muddy on my knowledge of aircraft and nomenclature. I remember cars parked on Wilmer Avenue, Beechmont with people viewing, taking photos. That huge 'thing' came in low over our heads and down on the tarmack with no problem--but in powerful reverse.

*History note: At one time Germany considered making Cincinnati a scheduled way stop in the U.S. for the huge airships like the HINDENBERG. Off Wilmer Ave. there was a large concrete landing pad and high tripod 'A' landing tower. After the HINDENBERG did it's thing in Lakehurst, NJ, the plan was abandoned. U.S. Mail and some light, valuable cargo, was flown by plane over to Lakehurst for loading on the HINDENBERG bound for Germany. And there was also the GRAF zeppelin with other airships planned but abandoned. During W.W. II the U.S. Navy used that docking tower for Navy blimps--and some of them were pretty big. The Navy even had barracks there for the blimp crews. Well, what do I know?

R. Dale Flick
Ole Coal Haven Landing, Ohio River, Cincinnati.

Jim Blum 06-08-2017 09:26 AM

Well I'll be dipped in Chicken fat! Yep Bill & Dale a bit of googling comes up with the story and photo of the C32A/757. Apparently a C32A has landed at Lunken several times in the not too distant past. Thanks for the enlightenment Bill, Dale.

Russ Ryle 06-08-2017 09:57 AM

re: Back in the earl(ieer...) days .....

When opened in 1930 or 1931 then Cincinnati Municipal Airport now known as Lunken (sunk'in Lunken in times of high water) was the largest airport in the U.S. Times changed. Airports needed more runway length so Cincinnati Municipal moved to its present location post WW II.

Keep your steam up!

Russ Ryle

Frank X. Prudent 06-08-2017 04:17 PM

[QUOTE=Jim Reising;36556]Frank, the rivers aren't really "free". Although there are no tolls for using locks, there is a federal fuel tax on commercial vessels which half goes into the general fund and the other half goes into a trust fund for maintaining and building of waterway improvements.
When I retired a few years ago it was $.20 a gallon, I'm not sure what it is now.[/QUOTE]

I am fully aware of the fuel tax that was added by Congress years ago to maintain the inland rivers' and other maritime infrastructure. I also well remember the big fight that it caused before the marine industry grudgingly accepted it. You couldn't pick up a copy of the "Water Closet Journal" without reading an editorial condemning even such an idea for a tax.

Jim Reising 06-09-2017 07:40 AM

It was passed to get the Olmstead project going........what a boon dogle 20 yrs and billions of dollars later, the project is still not completed.