Message Boards

Message Boards (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/)
-   River Talk & Cruises (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/river-talk-cruises/)
-   -   Trump at Coal Haven (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/river-talk-cruises/5698-trump-coal-haven.html)

Frank X. Prudent 06-09-2017 04:38 PM

[QUOTE=Jim Reising;36567]It was passed to get the Olmstead project going........what a boon dogle 20 yrs and billions of dollars later, the project is still not completed.[/QUOTE]

With Trump's proposed infrastructure plan, and thankfully it probably won't get through Congress, a contractor could bid on shovel ready work, get nearly 85% tax credits on the job, finish it, and then charge tolls to recoup their investment. John Q. Public will end up paying nearly twice for the work, but it would finally get the job done!

R. Dale Flick 06-09-2017 05:21 PM

*Other Residents visiting Coal Haven?*
Steamboating colleagues:
While wading through the discussions on President Trump's recent visit to Coal Haven Landing, exchanges over river oil taxes etc. I happened to muse a bit remembering when one other U.S. President visited that gritty, industrial, river oriented location in Cincinnati's East End. I was there as a kid when President Harry Truman rolled into Cincinnati on his last election aboard a special train. His train stopped briefly at the rail crossing on Airport Road leading down to Wilmer Avenue and Coal Haven. I honestly can't remember a word "Give em' hell Harry" said but remember the large crowd, the classic train car with the shiny brass railing on the rear platform with something like a canvas awning. BessTruman and daughter Margaret Truman may have been with him but I can't recall--think Margaret was. After his speech and cheers, the train slowly picked up speed moving into Undercliff Rail Yards and then on east out of Cincinnati. Now that was a L-O-N-G time ago. Well, what do I know or remember?

R. Dale Flick
Old Coal Haven Landing, Ohio River, Cincinnati.

R. Dale Flick 06-10-2017 10:39 AM

*Pres. Truman's rail route out of Coal Haven*
Steamboating colleagues,
In writing RE: President Truman's railroad 'whistle stop' and speech near old Coal Haven Landing I mused further. Jim Blum one in our midst who's interested in railroading etc. GL Purser Bob McCann another who could rock on his heels rattling off IN and OUT passenger trains from Cincinnati and other river cities. He had to as his job as Purser was to assist people boarding then trains following their GORDON C. GREENE/DELTA QUEEN trips. Later Bob also mastered most of the air schedules. I recall he kept a copy of the OAG for plane schedules in his office.

I can't recall what route Truman used in leaving Undercliff Rail Yards out here in Cincinnati's East End. Could have been over the N&W, PENNSYLVANIA or even linked with the NEW YORK CENTRAL. What Truman's destination after Cincy I don't know. If returning to Washington, D.C. could have been N&W linked with B&O, C&O. Heck, I don't know. Bill Judd may have some ideas. And Yes, the locomotive here was steam but other archival sites show the Truman train pulled by diesel units in other cities. HELP!

R. Dale Flick

Jim Reising 06-10-2017 01:19 PM

Supposedly, when Truman stopped in Louisville he said "Bess is inside the car checking to see if her mother-in-law really was a dog."

R. Dale Flick 06-12-2017 07:10 AM

*Pres. Truman's campaign train/Miles & speeches*
Steamboating colleagues,
Well, I got my teeth into President Harry Truman's Cincinnati whistlestop campaign tour here near old Coal haven Landing and couldn't let it go. I was a small kid in 1948 well remembering his stop, the train, crowds of people but now in 2017 not one word he said. Historical records vary but Truman traveled between 28,000 and 36,000 rail miles depending on your source. He gave some 336 speeches. No route map provided. The train composed off 17 cars from diner, lounges, sleeping cars. Alternatively pulled by steam or diesel locomotives depending on the rail route and right of way.

The Presidential train car then named FERDINAND MAGELLAN built by the Pullman Co. Franklin Roosevelt used it also. It was reinforced with protective steel and thick protective window glass. Roosevelt's body was transported from Warm Springs, Georgia in the car after his death; then on for burial at Hyde Park, N.Y. on the Hudson River.

Jim, I don't know about Truman's "mother-in-law" but know his own aged mother was still living in 1944. Sara Delano-Roosevelt, Franklin's mother, also lived a long life with Franklin not surviving her by very many years. In fact it was Sara Delano-Roosevelt who blew the whistle to son Franklin in the Navy Department when she returned aboard the liner LUSITANIA seeing "gun mounts hidden, deck rings and 'swivels' for the mounted guns." This leading to the LUSITANIA being torpedoed by the German Navy, May, 1915. Well, what do I know? Not everything is pure steamboats.

R. Dale Flick