Steamboats.org Homepage  
  not logged in.
           forgot password?

Have You Read the Exemption Bill?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-24-2017, 10:08 PM

Default Have You Read the Exemption Bill?

Reading the exemption bill raises a lot of questions in my mind as to how all the requirements will be executed. It looks to me they will need to have a special compliance department in the office which will do nothing but work on Coast Guard compliance issues.....for example the bill stipulates that crew members will have to have enhanced firefighter training specifically for exempt vessels. Since there is only one exempt vessel, does such a course even exist? Who pays to send the crew members to the fire school; tuition, room,board and transportation. Since the company has publicly stated they will hire only union crew members, before the union hall sends new members to the boat, do those crew members have to complete the training and if so are they "trained" employees thus demanding higher pay?
I won't even ask about having to send proposals for fire retarding various areas and getting approval before the work can begin.....that in itself could take a year. You think lawyers are expensive, wait till they get the bill from the marine architect who will have to draw up all the proposals.