not logged in.
           forgot password?

OT, steamboat whistle for New Years

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-30-2016, 11:27 PM

Location: Northern California above Lake Oroville on "Dewey Mountain"
Default OT, steamboat whistle for New Years

Well today I dug out one of my steam whistles, this one is a three-chime whistle last used on a steam launch. It's about 5" high and 2-1/2" diameter with a 1/2 pipe fitting. I fastened a length of pipe to my compressor shed eave and the garage eve (they are at 90 degrees to each other so the whistle is about a foot above the garage roof at that point. Tomorrow night I will put the whistle on the pipe and hook it up to the shop air compressor at 150lbs. (don't want to leave it up there all night or during the day, I'd hate to find it gone!) and when the ball drops, I'll wake up the neighborhood in this canyon! Heh heh heh! It's probably the first time in about 120 years since a steam whistle was heard in these parts, since the gold dredge was shut down. Air won't carry the sound as far as steam will, but it should prove to be FUN!!!
So what are you folks up to for New Years?