Message Boards

Message Boards (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/)
-   River Talk & Cruises (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/river-talk-cruises/)
-   -   OT, steamboat whistle for New Years (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/river-talk-cruises/5652-ot-steamboat-whistle-new-years.html)

David Dewey 12-30-2016 10:27 PM

OT, steamboat whistle for New Years

Well today I dug out one of my steam whistles, this one is a three-chime whistle last used on a steam launch. It's about 5" high and 2-1/2" diameter with a 1/2 pipe fitting. I fastened a length of pipe to my compressor shed eave and the garage eve (they are at 90 degrees to each other so the whistle is about a foot above the garage roof at that point. Tomorrow night I will put the whistle on the pipe and hook it up to the shop air compressor at 150lbs. (don't want to leave it up there all night or during the day, I'd hate to find it gone!) and when the ball drops, I'll wake up the neighborhood in this canyon! Heh heh heh! It's probably the first time in about 120 years since a steam whistle was heard in these parts, since the gold dredge was shut down. Air won't carry the sound as far as steam will, but it should prove to be FUN!!!
So what are you folks up to for New Years?

Judy Patsch 12-31-2016 08:43 AM

New Years same as Old Years...

Absolutely nothing! Watching football on TV, compiling church members' giving reports for the year, cleaning litter boxes, zzzzzzzzzzz. Maybe look at hotel rates in March for my next NOLA trip since I haven't been there since August. Ever since Guy Lombardo died and there was no TV of his orchestra at the Waldorf Astoria, New Years Eve has been just another night for me!!!! A safe and happy new year to all!

Ron Anderson 12-31-2016 09:06 AM

Us too Judy. After all, we all gotta get up bright n' squirrely for church in the morning! :-)

Judy Patsch 12-31-2016 01:41 PM

Wouldn't matter!!!!

Church or no church, nothing to celebrate, nowhere I'd want to go anyway on NYEve. Whatever the NYEve counterpart to Bah Humbug is, that's it for me!!!! unless there was a steamboat to ride :-)

David Dewey 12-31-2016 04:03 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's two pics of the whistle, ready to go!!
CELEBRATE!!
Oh, and your first resolution should be to contact your fed reps to get the DQ exemption passed!
:)

Russ Ryle 12-31-2016 04:24 PM

re: Standing by for the toot .....

David,

Please make a video summarizing the preparation for and this event to share with us all.

Russ Ryle

David Dewey 12-31-2016 09:39 PM

Russ,
Great idea, but it's too dark up there, and with air there's nothing to see! Plus, I'm on dial-up and I can't download videos!
4-1/2 or so hours to go.
Oh, and the normally empty house across the street is occupied tonight---OH BOY!! Heh heh heh--too bad Hobbes isn't here to help (Calvin & Hobbes) :)

Ron Anderson 01-01-2017 08:31 AM

Did ya do it?

David Dewey 01-02-2017 01:16 AM

Yes, but the cold air cut back on the volume. Next year I will use a larger supply pipe and a shorter hose to the air compressor. Nobody nearby has said anything to me yet though. I'll look through my collection and see if one of the others will sound better. I have one with a broken center bolt that I want to fix this summer, ti looks good, but I don't know how it will sound. The whistle I used this year is, I think , an Essex.

Ron Anderson 01-02-2017 08:54 AM

Almighty then.

When they call the cops you'll know that last effort was effective.