Message Boards

Message Boards (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/)
-   River Talk & Cruises (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/river-talk-cruises/)
-   -   Green River (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/river-talk-cruises/5648-green-river.html)

Bill Judd 12-20-2016 01:24 PM

Green River

This is aimed at the old timers on here. Recently learned that Lock & Dam #6 on the Green River has failed. A large section of the fixed dam has given way and the pool up to Mammouth Cave has fallen to its natural state.

How many who write on here or just lurk have ever been through # 6 or #1 on the Barren ???

Jim Reising 12-20-2016 04:48 PM

I wonder how that affects the ferry service at Mammouth Cave? If my memory is correct there hasn't been any commercial traffic on the Barren since the dam at lock 4 (or was it 5) on the Green River failed in the 1960's.
Also I wonder if the failure effects the water level in the cave itself? Doesn't the River Styx flow out of the cave and into the Green?

Bill Judd 12-20-2016 04:57 PM

Jim there are actually two ferry crossings to get into the Mamouth Cave area via two seperate roads. Both ferries I think belong to the Park. The Park people are most happy, claiming now the Green is in its original state. Suspect they are not boat people so a trickle of water might cause major access problems. It was #4 that failed.

Jim Blum 12-21-2016 12:41 AM

What about the little excursion boat that operated near the cable ferry. Is the water now too low for it to operate?

Steve Huffman 12-21-2016 06:29 AM

In another email group, Barry Griffith said the cable ferry is still running at Mammoth Cave but there is another ferry run by the park service, named Houchins Ferry that is now wallowing in a mud pit and not running. Its future is unknown.

Bill Judd 12-22-2016 04:45 PM

Surely some body out there has been through Green River # 6 and #1 on the Barren.
I'm feeling awful lonesome. Come on and tell us your experience.

Bob Reynolds 12-22-2016 06:56 PM

We're all too young, Bill! AND (drum roll....) we're all still waiting on that article you're going to write for the REFLECTOR about your Green River experiences.

R. Dale Flick 12-22-2016 10:18 PM

*Green River locks mess/dams out of service*
Steamboating colleagues:
I've read from top to bottom the above news with baited breath instituted by Capt. Bill Judd RE: the current mess on the Green River. Ummmm, now I'm really getting scared hearing about river pools dropped out, ferry boats wallowing in mud, excursion boat possibly laid up. Can it get worse? Where's Teddy Roosevelt when we need him? Then, with business and money in mind, I can smell the air sensing a flurry of law suits possibly coming in. Who's responsible? What will the compensation be? The incoming Trump administration promises to address our deteriorating infrastructure. Darn, what do I know?

R. Dale Flick
Old Coal Haven Landing, Ohio River, Cincinnati.

Bill Judd 12-27-2016 08:22 PM

time

To my good friend, Capt. Bob Reynolds.John Prine wrote a real fine song on the Green River. Here is the chorus.

And Daddy won't you take back to Muhlenberg County
Down by the Green River where paradise lay
Well, I'm sorry my son, but you're to late in asking
Mister Peabody's coal train has hauled it away

to paraphrase: Captain, I am sorry to say
my secrets of Green River have faded away.

Bob Reynolds 12-28-2016 10:10 AM

I am sorry to hear this. But I do se you have submitted an article with pictures to our esteemed Editor, so I guess we'll have to be satisfied with that. Merry Christmas!