Message Boards

Message Boards (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/)
-   River Talk & Cruises (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/river-talk-cruises/)
-   -   Can you identify this man (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/river-talk-cruises/5593-can-you-identify-man.html)

Jim Reising 09-07-2016 02:18 PM

Can you identify this man

1 Attachment(s)
Perhaps Dale or Frank can answer this.....is this man standing at the throttle of the GCG engineer Ralph Horton, Virginia Benet's good friend. I never met Ralph that I recall, I believe he was off on towboats by the time I got involved.

Frank X. Prudent 09-07-2016 07:45 PM

I hate to say that I haven't a clue! Is it Ralph Horton, I don't know! I did look at the magazine "News at Home" published by The Home Fleet of Insurance Companies in 1947 which has a photo of my dad, who was running as an Assistant Engineer on the GCG, chatting with Chief Frank Heath and it doesn't look like Frank Heath.

R. Dale Flick 09-08-2016 08:53 AM

*'Mystery photo on last ISLAND QUEEN*
Steamboating colleagues:
Well, that Jim has done it again! I'm out the door in a minute but took a long look at the above which is obviously from the last ISLAND QUEEN. Note those huge dividing steam lines leading to what is one of her incline reciprocrating engines in the rear. Until I can do a little more steamboat foresics here, I'll opine the engineer we see here in the late Ralph Horton. Yet, nothing like being wrong at the top of your voice.

Believe-it-or-not, Ralph was no kid even at the end of the IQ when she went KABOOM! Sept. 1947. I'd heard that Ralph Horton-if this is him--had a grown son who had died in an automobile accident about that time or before. Unfortunately, the real Ralph Horton later became afflicted with what we know now as Alzheimers disease leading to his leaving work in the DELTA QUEEN. I know that Capt. Bill Judd may also have knowledge or recognition of the man. The late Virginia Bennett would know in a flash. Again, what do I really think I know?

R. Dale Flick
Old Coal Haven Landing, Ohio River, Cincinnati

R. Dale Flick 09-08-2016 01:38 PM

*ISLAND QUEEN or GORDON C. GREENE?*
Steamboating colleagues:
Again, a 'lesson learned' when typing fast before heading out the door. The 'mystery man' now probably NOT in the engineroom of the last ISLAND QUEEN but aboard the GORDON C. GREENE. 'Post in haste, repent in leisure.'

Now, I ask, is that very prominent doctor pump gear behind the same now on the BELLE OF LOUISVILLE? I still opine the gentleman is Ralph Horton. Cheers!

R. Dale Flick
Old Coal Haven Landing, Ohio River, Cincinnati.

Jane Weixelbaum 10-19-2016 12:15 PM

Good Afternoon,

I am Ralph Horton's grand daughter and I would love to find any information/pictures that I can regarding his life on the river. Unfortunately, he passed away when I was only 11 years old, so I don't have a lot of information.

Any help is greatly appreciated. You can contact me directly at [email]janewex@yahoo.com[/email].

Thank you

Jane Horton Weixelbaum

R. Dale Flick 10-20-2016 04:56 AM

*Glad you are signed on to .org*
Good morning, Jane,
WOW! What a surprise when your E=Mail came in to me at home yesterday. Thanks for the fascinating historical information you sent to me on not only Ralph but his family history, the old shipyard, building a gunboat for the Civil War etc. I'm sure you may hear from a few others here who also remember Ralph but there aren't many of us now. Keep in touch here and more from me by my other E=Mail. Cheers!

R. Dale Flick
Old Coal Haven Landing, Ohio River, Cincinnati.