Message Boards

Message Boards (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/)
-   River Talk & Cruises (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/river-talk-cruises/)
-   -   SEWICKLEY (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/river-talk-cruises/5571-sewickley.html)

Bill Judd 07-10-2016 07:59 PM

SEWICKLEY

For all you sternwheel buffs the M/V SEWICKLEY passed down last nite , blowing not one but two long salutes on those big Kahlenbergs. Capt. Bob Harrison at the wheel with son George on deck. Capt. Bob has her really looking nice. Way to go Bobby!!

Judy Patsch 07-11-2016 07:44 AM

Sternwheelers

Good to hear one is still out there cruising - I happened upon a YouTube video this weekend of the first Sternwheelers Festival weekend in Marietta in 1978, which happened to be the first year I attended S&D and so I saw several of those videoed in person. I remember always passing the RUFUS B on the DQ. She was in Wabasha, I believe.

R. Dale Flick 07-12-2016 07:45 AM

*RE: The REAL sternwheeler SEWICKLEY?! WOW!*
Morning, Steamboat collelagues:
Thanks to Capt. Bill Judd's heads up on appearance of the SEWICKLEY along with Judy's memories. Now, Bill, I do assume this the sternwheeler SEWICKLEY I first knew/saw over 55 years ago while on a DELTA QUEEN Cincinnati/Pittsburgh trip. I thought her one fine boat then with photos buried here I'll try to resurrect.

Naturally, DELTA QUEEN Purser Bob McCann aboard the DQ had his usual array of boat stories over the DQ's PA system [No 'Riverlorian' in those days]. Bob's somewhat humorous anecdote about the SEWICKLEY, in answer to passenger questions, was, "No sir/madam, the boat SEWICKLEY 'wasn't' named after the town outside of Pittsburgh. She was accidentally named SEWICKLEY when being completed with a painter leaving the period off after letters S.E. She was to have been named after a man named S.E. WICKLEY. Bill, Judy, you ever hear that story? I bet Jim Reising, Kenny Howe, Doc Hawley, Don Sanders have. Back in Cincinnati for two weeks attending to business before returning back up north. Catching up on .org, E=Mails, U.S. Mail, FACEBOOK.

R. Dale Flick
Old Coal Haven Landing, Ohio River, Cincinnati

Bill Judd 07-12-2016 07:56 PM

What a Bob McCann story that was, he must have been just jesting with some landlubbers. The M/V SEWICKLEY was indeed named for Sewickley, Pa. The boat was built at the Dravo yard and both of the Dravo brothers call Sewickley, Pa. home. The boat had six sisterboats, all named for girls in the Dravo family. Ralph Dravo decided to name the last of the series for his home town. Maybe they had run out of Dravo girls. When I bought the M/V SEWICKLEY in 1969 I received a phone call from Capt. Fred Way asking that I not change the name, a request I honored. Her name was changed after I sold her in 1974 to Jess Coen. When Capt. Bob Harrison acquired her in 2002 he restored her original name. She was the best of the best in her class!!!

Steve Huffman 07-13-2016 08:24 AM

Wonder where she is heading? I guess the Augusta Sternwheel Regatta is this coming weekend.. Maybe the Sewickley will be attending Augusta and is making a quick visit to Cincinnati(?)..

R. Dale Flick 07-13-2016 09:24 AM

*SEWICKLEY/Bob McCann/Your history*
Steamboating colleagues:
Bill, thanks for the additional notes on the M/V SEWICKLEY including your ownership of her. This expands knowledge of a darned nice and now nearly famous "best of the best" boat.

Sure, Purser Bob McCann's 'story' about the SEWICKLEY name [i.e. S.E. WICKLEY] was done in jest, pulling the legs of "landlubbers." Bob McCann could be like that. Woe be unto him or her who ever questioned, challenged one of Bob's stories or histories when aboard the DQ. Bob was reluctant to ever put pen to paper with his memories or be interviewed with a then period tape recorder. Now and then we did get his voice on tape with me promptly writing down his memories. One dry wit we know said, "By darned! Bob McCann could recall how many revolutions the paddlewheel on the SENATOR CORDILL could make landing in Marietta." Likewise, many of us could relate more than a few stories, histories, anecdotes about Bob McCann. He one 'grand original.' Again, what do I know?

R. Dale Flick
Currently back home at Old Coal Haven Landing, Ohio River, Cincinnati

Jim Blum 07-13-2016 05:17 PM

With the fear of killing this tread I will still venture to quote from the 1946 Inland River Record: " Diesel Towboat, Steel Hull, Sternwheeler. b. Neville Island, Pa by Dravo Corporation, 1930. 72.2 x 16 x 4. 150 hp. diesel. Originally operated by Dravo until sold to Capt. John M Hysmith, Pittsburgh, Pa. in Feb 1937 to replace the steam towboat R.J. HESLOP which had burned Dec., 4 1936."

Bill Judd 07-13-2016 07:47 PM

Jim with your knowledge you will never kill a thread. Several items to comment on, the IRR 1946 lists her beam as 16' and in 1946 that was correct, same for all the sister boats. Capt. Hysmith had a new hull 23' of beam installed in 1948.That wide hull was really nice to work on as her side guards were now 3' wide. The 1946 IRR also lists that monster of an engine, a Cooper Bessemer,direct-reversing model J-6. Capt. Hysmith himself tried to teach me how to start the beast, to no avail. I dug a little deeper in my wallet and put in a G-M 6110. SEWICKLEY was a real 101 in river economics.

Dan Owen 07-14-2016 10:00 AM

SEWICKLEY

Whenever Capt. John M. Hysmith passed Babbs island on the SEWICKLEY, which was about every other day, he always blew a long and two short on the whistle to make sure that I knew he was going by. He sent me $5 when I graduated from high school.