Message Boards

Message Boards (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/)
-   River Talk & Cruises (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/river-talk-cruises/)
-   -   from the new AQ holiday brochure (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/river-talk-cruises/5562-new-aq-holiday-brochure.html)

Judy Patsch 06-15-2016 08:47 PM

from the new AQ holiday brochure

[I]The main attraction on any AMERICAN QUEEN cruise is the award-winning shore excursions.[/I]

And then there is the new Commodore service for suite pax.....

Sorry, just couldn't post this in the Steamboats and History category ;-)

Russ Ryle 06-20-2016 03:40 PM

re: Why do we go steamboating - now and then

Hi Judy,

Back in 1978 and 1979 when we went steam boating, the dominate comments overheard related to how relaxing it was to get away from the everyday chores and pressures of life and relax disconnected from the world for a few days. I wonder, and doubt in this 24/7 cell phone age, if that pleasure could be duplicated today? There was a comradeship among strangers brought together by the experience.

What do others remember about the "why"?

Keep your steam up!

Russ Ryle

David Dewey 06-20-2016 06:08 PM

When we rode the DQ in '97 &'08, most of the time we were out of cell coverage--which was fine by me--I didn't even read the papers! Well, when we were in port, I'd check the headlines, just to make certain WW3 hadn't broken out, but we didn't care, we were on the river and what was news was what was happening there--or what we were going to eat at the next meal--and when do we get to hear or play the calliope! :)
Now the folks back home were a little unhappy about the situation, but I called in once a day, USUALLY, to help solve problems.

R. Dale Flick 07-01-2016 12:05 PM

*RE: 'Shore Excursions/Time NOT cruising etc.*
Steamboating colleagues:
Interesting link RE: 'Shore Excursions' above with comments following. Agreed that in the old days most of the fun was 'steaming' during the day actually seeing the river/scenery with shore stops included, naturally.

Even the 'big blue water babies' are nearly locked into port stops with many shore excursions during the day, pulling out to steam at night. At sea no big deal as the watery horizon looks pretty much the same. Cruise boat/ships operators often sign contracts with shore excursion operators. A known fact that much above revenue earned from shore excursions.

Then there's the factor of being tied up most of the day with tours while sailing/steaming at night to, in essence, save fuel somewhat . Many ports of call not that far apart from each other. I've talked to many a passenger in later years who looked at me with blank stares when asked, "Did you see the beautiful Ox Bow Bends of the Ohio River?" European river cruise boats also now follow the same pattern. But, what do I know?

R. Dale Flick
Northern shores of mighty Lake Michigan, summer 2016

Bob Reynolds 07-01-2016 03:10 PM

That might be the "new normal" for various (business) reasons. It certainly would not entice me to take a trip; in fact, it might dissuade me. The last trip I took of the DQ as a paying passenger, I was disappointed with the stop in Henderson, KY. There is nothing, and I mean NOTHING I want to see in Henderson, and we were there thee tire afternoon. I would have preferred a stop at Cave-In-Rock.

Judy Patsch 07-01-2016 03:28 PM

The DQ's niche

And here is where I can see the DQ in the 'glut' of overnight passenger vessels: She should cruise in the daylight, choke a stump at night if ahead of schedule. She should be a BOAT for people who want to take a BOAT RIDE on the river, who want to see RIVER scenery, not inland 'wonders'. In other words, revert back to the schedule we knew, Bob, of the 70s-80s. 3 hour shore stops long enough to wander into town which leaves plenty of daylight cruising hours. Of course the lure of $$$$$ that shore tours and promoters might wave under the owners' noses will be a temptation... but just as the DQ's structure differs from the new boatels, so should her schedule and purpose for being...a BOAT, not a Grayline tour bus!!!

Bob Reynolds 07-01-2016 03:32 PM

I wish we had a "like" button on dot.org!