Message Boards

Message Boards (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/)
-   River Talk & Cruises (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/river-talk-cruises/)
-   -   *.org's new 'server'/Active Member count* (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/river-talk-cruises/5554-orgs-new-server-active-member-count.html)

R. Dale Flick 06-07-2016 09:18 AM

*.org's new 'server'/Active Member count*

Steamboating colleagues:
Yesterday I noted that Steamboats.org was 'down' for a period undergoing unstallation of a "new server." Things this morning looking good again. Yet, I have a question. I noted for some extended days the 'Active members' shown as 33 and holding. I note today, after a a number of postings and then responses 'Active number' dropping down to 29. Is this some kind of computer computation glitch or what? We have observations about falling postings, active membership here for one reason or the other. Perhaps Franz in his free time can elighten us.

Thanks also to Capt. Bob Reynolds for his thinking RE: .org postings and FACEBOOK. Don't be fooled as FACEBOOK is far more invasive, vulnerable than you think. Don't get me wrong. Fine river threads, postings, photos, pertinent chit chat for sure but it comes with a price in time. Don't be fooled with web statistics on 'Hits' to a site and what it means. Again, what do I know? I am curious.

R. Dale Flick
Old Coal Haven Landing, Ohio River, Cincinnati

Linda Westbrook 06-07-2016 12:35 PM

Thanks! I just needed to log in again. May I also say, "But what do I know?"

Jim Blum 06-07-2016 12:45 PM

What we ALL need to say is a BIG THANK YOU to Franz & Carmen for providing this great site!.......................THANKS Franz., THANKS Carmen.

Frank X. Prudent 06-07-2016 04:27 PM

[QUOTE=Jim Blum;35663]What we ALL need to say is a BIG THANK YOU to Franz & Carmen for providing this great site!.......................THANKS Franz., THANKS Carmen.[/QUOTE]

AMEN, BROTHER JIM! We all owe Carmen and Franz a huge thanks.

Russ Ryle 06-07-2016 08:35 PM

The future of steamboating is .....

AMEN, BROTHER JIM! We all owe Carmen and Franz a huge thanks for hosting this web site. The best way we can thank them is to "use it." The best way to preserve and grow this board is to add content.

Russ Ryle

Bob Reynolds 06-08-2016 12:22 AM

I'll add my heartfelt AMEN to these! Franz, there is so much information and history now contained on this site (in all 3 of the forums) that it would be a shame to lose it at some point. Have you ever considered compiling and printing (or other means) of saving everything, possibly in an indexed format?

Franz Neumeier 06-08-2016 05:57 AM

Thanks so much for the kind words, we appreciate that very much!

Indeed, the webserver physically moved from a small town near Munich to Strassburg in France over night - plysically really means. my web hoster packed the server into a truck (together with hundreds other webservers) and shipped it over the highway to Strassburg. You can imagine how nervous I was, given the additional fact that I was on a cruise ship in the Med without any chance to do anything in case something goes wrong. Fortunately everything was perfectly organized and the server was back online about ten minutes earlier than scheduled.

Dale, to answer you question about the "active members" count: To be honest, I really don't know what exactly the forum software is counting there. I guess it counts the number of users who have actively posted something to the message board over a period of time. But for sure, there are much more people passively reading the message board than just about 30 ;-) I'm thinking of removing this part of the statistics completely as it seams it's more confusing than helpful ...

Franz

Franz Neumeier 06-08-2016 06:06 AM

As of Facebook: it's a great tool for quick and easy discussion and chat. THe huge disadvantage (besides the dramatic privacy issues there) is that information disappears very quickly, so just days after th eoriginal posting it's difficult to find it again.

At the steamboats.org message board you'll be able to find information posted year ago very easily with the search function. And if you go to the archive of the old message board ([url=http://www.steamboats.org/talkshop/index.html]Steamboats.org Message Board[/url] - thas was before we switched to a news software), you can go back even further, until 2001 - that's 15 years of information and details ...

I hope Facebook will not overcome this message board completely as a lot of informaiton will get lost for ever if it's just being posted at Facebook and is not stored somewhere outside of Facebook ...

Franz

Russ Ryle 06-08-2016 10:39 AM

re: the transient nature of social media content

Morning Franz and all,

Grit is preservation motivated by passion. Thank you Franz and Carmen for the grit to stay the course with this board. Another definition of grit is staying with something longer than most folks think reasonable to finally get results. Remember the life story of President Lincoln.

I am not a Facebook person so I leave answering the following question to others who are: Is there a way to start a dialogue with those discussing steamboats, riverboats, etc. on Facebook? Would adding a fourth section to this board for something like "river talk yesterday, today, and tomorrow" provide a more obvious home for others to feel more comfortable to post to?

Warning: I write this after just one morning cup of coffee, not more. After all, coffee keeps the pilot house afloat .... :) ?

Keep your steam up!

Russ Ryle

R. Dale Flick 06-09-2016 10:00 AM

*Transient nature/Dialogues on social media*
Steamboating colleagues:
Franz & Russ brought out interesting aspects of posting on webs and social media, finding past postings in archives etc. This something I wasn't totally aware of. The discussion threads Franz has mounted here so far pretty adequate in my thinking. A number of other web sites [Some steamboat oriented] allow postings but not interplay of questions, comments etc.--and this for very obvious reasons. To do so requires the web master always on call for him/her to monitor postings, comments appropriate, strangers lurking in making silly or even near obscene comments. It's no small job. Remember, once you hit SEND on any internet medium it's out there FOREVER and never goes away. Retired dean of University of Cincinnati Law School here has told me many a harrowing story of postings 'out there' and what can happen.

From what I see on FACEBOOK it also is nearly instantaneous with comments, questions, chit chat in evolving dialogues, photos of posters etc. I've posted on other unrelated web sites only to have a flurry of responses 'direct' to me on my home E=Mail not appearing on the site. Again, postings on any social media with 'hits' in response or just reading can be misleading.

Working here on downloading more old photos, 35 mm. color slides from ages ago on rivers/steamboats I hope to have posted on FACEBOOK and the Sons & Daughters of Pioneer Rivermen web site. Again, thanks for all the ideas, discussion, facts presented above. Now I DO know what I don't know.

R. Dale Flick
Old Coal Haven Landing, Ohio River, Cincinnati