Steamboats.org Homepage  
  not logged in.
           forgot password?

16 years ago...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-01-2016, 09:16 AM

Default 16 years ago...

She made it to the 21st century, our Renaissance river friend Dorothea/Dorothy Frye. Her passing on Feb. 1, 2000 left a big hole in many of our lives. Dorothea was not a big name on the river - she had no license - but she was big in the lives of many river people. She was Betty Blake's confidante and shelter when BB had a bit much to drink. She worked the DQ gift shop for her friend Betty for a while. Sharon Wright was another in their group, as was Doc Hawley. Of course we remember in later years that intrepid trio of Larry and Ethel Walker and Dorothea who attended the river gatherings and spent two weeks every October in New Orleans, doing such river things as visiting garage sales and attending LeRichelieu's family picnic, in addition to riding the NATCHEZ and visiting river sites. It was this trio, Walkers in 407 and DF in 411, that acquainted me with LeRichelieu, which I now call my NOLA home. DF was an accomplished artist - many of us know of her detailed accurate DQ works and personal portraits; a bass player; and hostess of a radio show back in her early years. She went to school with Doris Day... and on and on. But most of all, she was a Friend, one who listened to my almost nightly phone calls about mother problems and whatever else was troubling me. Yes, Dorothea's name isn't found in a Rivers Hall of Fame, but she was a quiet self-effacing giant of our river world...