Steamboats.org Homepage  
  not logged in.
           forgot password?

L & C Line Revived

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-09-2015, 12:12 PM

Default L & C Line Revived

To carry on the thread that kinda began in the History Repeats Itself thread under steamboats and history. The more I think about it the more it seems like it might be possible...if it can be done cheaply.
First you'd need a boat...what comes to my mind immediately is the RIVER BARGE, if its still in the Marad Fleet in Texas. I would think that Marad would sell it cheaply just to get rid of it. Who knows with the help of a congressman or senator who would love to show how they saved the Federal Govt money, it might be very cheap. If what I heard was true when the boat was laid-up, it needed abunch of hull replating. Hull work on a couple of convert oil barges would be a lot cheaper than converting any of the now laid-up gambling boats.
I'm not sure that I would buy a towboat to push it, it might be easier and cheaper to charter in power. Also you wouldn't have the expense of maintaining a towboat in the winter lay-up months. And by chartering in power on a fully found basis, the boat owner would supply the pilothouse crew and all of the responsibilities and expense that goes with that.
By going back and forth between two towns 12 hours apart, you could have the meals catered. I'm sure like Louisville, Cincinnati has hundreds of caterers who would love to get a business like this.
All meals...and there would only be two and a half on each trip....would be buffets. There would be a nice dinner upon leaving, a midnight spread, and breakfast the morning of arrival.
By catering the meals, the boat would not have to have a kitchen staff and by being buffets no huge wait staff, just a few busboys to clear the tables.
I could go on and on... like the maids and cleaning crew would come on the boat each morning and not ride the boat; you'd still probably need a chambermaid or two (who could double as busboys) to take care of accidents and emergencies.
What do you think, is this a good concept? Let your imagination run wild and make suggestions and your thoughts.