Message Boards

Message Boards (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/)
-   River Talk & Cruises (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/river-talk-cruises/)
-   -   American Eagle (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/river-talk-cruises/5284-american-eagle.html)

Matthew Cooper 10-08-2014 08:07 AM

[url=http://www.travelpulse.com/news/cruise/american-cruise-lines-unveils-american-eagle.html]American Cruise Lines Unveils 'American Eagle' | TravelPulse[/url]

Marcus J. Lynn 10-08-2014 05:53 PM

American Eagle

I like the name... but they might as well have called it the Queen of the Mississippi 2. It's pretty much the same thing, isn't it? I'm depressed it won't even go on any Mississippi River tributaries.
ML

ed frazier 10-08-2014 09:16 PM

They could have just used a picture of the queen of the mississippi as a photo of this new american eagle. I'll be happy when the Delta Queen gets back out.

Marcus J. Lynn 11-04-2014 04:02 PM

Queen of the Mississippi/American Eagle

Yeah, just saw that a minute ago... it does look much like the Queen of the Mississippi. I also noticed the image on the American Cruise Line's twitter page is one of 4 Queen of the Mississippi clones, it seems.
Also, on the topic of American Cruise Lines, Jerry Hay, riverlorian on the AMERICAN QUEEN, told me at the Centennial Festival of Riverboats he won the case that kept the term "riverlorian" from being trademarked for just the ACL's use. He told me it was, "a David and Goliath" situation, as the ACL brought out the big guns in terms of lawyers. Good for Mr. Hay.
Anyways, man the ACL is REALLY pressing it against the other riverboating competition. It's not like things weren't all ready difficult for the poor DELTA QUEEN!
Happy Travels,
ML

Ted Guillaum 11-05-2014 07:20 AM

Trivia Quizz

Here is a trivia quizz for those who may be newer to the discussion board and those that (like me) have a memory that seems to get shorter and shorter every year.
Who was the individual that invented the term "Riverlorian?" A giant Snickers bar to the winner. (Former and current Riverlorians are disqualified) :-)

R. Dale Flick 11-05-2014 09:27 AM

*'Riverlorian' * other steamboat terms*
Morning, Ted and Steamboating colleagues:
Good question for the giant SNICKERS bar on the sage term 'Riverlorian.' Not totally certain personally as I went for long periods of time never laying eyes on the DELTA QUEEN. No doubt you, Keith Norrington, Judy Patsch, Jim Reising, Kenny Howe etc. would have greater clarity. I kinda' thought I first heard it in/around the DQ offices back here when Betty Blake was the CEO. The first person on any of the boats I connected the title to was, I 'think,' Toots when she was aboard. That was now a long time ago. Earlier years on the GORDON C. GREENE & DELTA QUEEN chief GL Purser Bob McCann was the offical voice over the PA system from the office saying, "Ladies and gentleman, in a few moments we will...let me call your attentio to..." At times then hostesses Peg Baker and Marty Stouder would make PA announcements etc. Plain and simple and that was it with no formal title.

Another term emerging in the Betty Blake days was 'Steamboatin' appearing in her press folders, press articles, literature, brochures printed here in Cincinnati by Steinhauser Press. No, she didn't coin it. Later it appeared protected with the registered trademark with the little (R) next to it as a protected logo, trademark. At times you all have seen on packages, logos the same little (R) or (C) with "Logo mark pending...copyright pending" as it was not yet formally registered. Violate any mark (R) or (C) and you'll learn fast legally what can happen. 'Steamboatin' appeared often years and years before then usually with the small 's' with 'steamboatin.' Then U.S. President Herbert Hoover, during his celebrated visit dedicating the then new Ohio River locks and dams in 1929, used 'steamboatin' in his formal address of dedication.

Capt. Tom Greene, no slouch of a fine writer himself, used his favorite term 'Steamboatiana' in a letter humourously referencing boat fans to friend Dan Heekin when Tom was considering what whistle to use on his then new DELTA QUEEN. In earlier California days on the Sacramento River, both DELTA KING and DELTA QUEEN were termed by river people there as "ships" since they operated in two water mediums from San Francisco bay up the Sacramento. DELTA KING was then titled the flagship of the California Transportation Co. Otherwise here steamboats were termed just "boats...or the boat" with all knowing what was meant. Early GREENE LINE STEAMERS brochures, ads termed the DELTA QUEEN as "steamer." I always heard Mrs. Letha Greene use the terms "boat" or "steamer." The vast roof of the huge old GREENE LINE wharfboat was always emblazoned with GREENE LINE STEAMERS and not STEAMBOATS. It begs the question as to what is in a name? Plenty. Well, what do I know?

R. Dale Flick
Coal Haven Landing, Ohio River, Cincinnati

R. Dale Flick 11-05-2014 09:44 AM

*Coda to my previous*
Ted & Seamboating' colleagues:
WAIT! Just as I hit SEND on the above another name for the 'possible' first 'Riverlorian' came to mind. Could it...perhaps...possbily...maybe--have been Terry Severns? [Spelling?]. More than a few on here remember Terry well. Seems he originally hailed from up in Ohio near Cambridge, Ohio. [?] I knew/worked with his sister in the Cincinnati public Schools with her married name being different. Terry later passed away with cancer if I remember correctly. I can see and hear him now. Well, again, what do I know?

R. Dale Flick
Coal Haven Landing, Ohio River, Cincinnati.

Frank X. Prudent 11-05-2014 09:54 AM

Dale I believe that you mentioned her name, but didn't give her the credit due. If I heard correctly, it was Karen Malloy whom coined the term "Riverlorian." Obviously it's a portmanteau word combining river lore and historian. And I'm deuced glad that those snakes over on the east coast lost their battle to steal that word.

R. Dale Flick 11-05-2014 10:18 AM

*RE: 'Karen' or 'Toots' Malloy*
Morning, Frank,
Good point, but I remember Karen on the boat(s) referenced to as 'Toots.' 'Riverlorian' no doubt the enjoining of 'River' and 'historian' as you mention. These legal battles over logos and trade names can get really hot and legal going on for ages. Way back then, I did remember--checked my files here in the 'dusty boxes'--seeing when Betty Blake and company then added the (R) after 'Steamboatin.' Look close on your CUNARD LINE webs and printings and you'll see the same again and again. Cheers!

R. Dale Flick
Coal Haven Landing, Ohio River, Cincinnati

Ted Guillaum 11-05-2014 11:35 AM

The Winner

My best information is that "Toot's" coined the phrase and created the position for herself on the Delta Queen. She personally told me this on a visit to the boat once. She was particularly disgusted at one point when she changed boats and she was not allowed to use the term any longer. Toots can fill in the details if I have any of this not 100% correct.