Steamboats.org Homepage  
  not logged in.
           forgot password?

LST325/Virginia Bennett in CINCINNATI POST.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-02-2006, 03:33 PM

Default LST325/Virginia Bennett in CINCINNATI POST.

Steamboating colleagues:
'Better late than never' on this posting and thanks to the subtle nudge by a .org 'lurker.' The CINCINNATI POST newspaper, Thursday, October, 2006 features a long and fascinating article by Peggy Kreimer titled: 'Among the Steamers, A Warrior: Navy landing craft transported troops after the D-Day invasion and carried tanks to Salerno.' Front page and Pgs. 6A & 7A. This floating exhibit is part of Tall Stacks this week in Cincinnati having arrived from her home in Evansville, IN.

Included is a photo of Virginia Bennett and interview on her memories of a similar World War II LST building program and their transport down the Ohio and other inland rivers to the Gulf and thence on to war duty. Virginia recalled seeing another giant LST from the decks of the steam packet boat CHRIS GREENE at lock 37. Joe McKee of South Port, OH also reminisced of his days piloting such craft as part of the 'Catfish Navy' from 1942 to 1946. Nelson Jones is also quoted. I vaguely recall as a little runt being carried by my father in his Navy uniform aboard one of the LST vessels open for visitors here at the Cincinnati Public Landing in late 1945-1946. Other than all of the gray paint, officers/crew walking around in uniform, officers with 'gold scrambled eggs' on cap brims and going up and down the gangway, I can't recall much now. Knowing me I probably whined and cried the whole time. That was a long time ago.

An interesting article to say the least and those of you interested may access it at: www.cincypost.com. Also appearing in the pages are icons linking to information/news on Tall Stacks.

Cheers,
R. Dale Flick