Message Boards

Message Boards (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/)
-   River Talk & Cruises (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/river-talk-cruises/)
-   -   *New PEARL MIST to cruise Great Lakes* (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/river-talk-cruises/5079-new-pearl-mist-cruise-great-lakes.html)

R. Dale Flick 10-31-2013 10:17 AM

*New PEARL MIST to cruise Great Lakes*

Steamboating colleagues:
Though not 'pure steamboats,' this posting gives us an idea as to the changing dynamics afoot in North America not only on our inland rivers but the Great Lakes adding one more factor to the expanding equation in overnight cruise service.

Upscale PEARL CRUISES has announced the entry of their new vessel the PEARL MIST, 210 passengers, now undergoing final finishing touches at 'Chesapeake Shipbuilding' in Salisbury, Marlyand to enter service June 26, 2014. This following a litigation suit now resolved stemming back to 2009. Other seasonal smaller cruise ships have ventured into our Great Lakes in the past years with the cruising season from May to at most October due to the northern climate. The MIST will offer 7, 10, 11 days cruises on the lakes, St. Lawrence River before repositioning in Florida and the Caribbean during the winter. One beautifully designed vessel with sensible lines. My only comment upon viewing the new MIST is her stern quarter with the bank of windows and the relatively low freeboard to the waterline. I hope her designers understood how the Great Lakes can be like the ocean during storms and high waves.

The last great cruise steamships were the famed NORTH AMERICAN & SOUTH AMERICAN laid up long ago due to age and the then impending Safety At Sea legislation. And what beautiful vessels they were.

You may access their site by typing in PEARL MIST or PERAL CRUISES or: http//www.pearlcruises.com/

Would I be in error wondering how 'thin' the pie can be cut in the growing cruise business on our rivers and the Great Lakes? Competition can be a good thing. Well, again, what do I know?

R. Dale Flick
Coal Haven Landing, Ohio River, Cincinnati.

Lexie Palmore 10-31-2013 10:48 AM

Looks like something I would enjoy, having never been to those northern climes, but the website is apparently still in development as I went nowhere beyond pretty pictures. The lower deck would have to be weather proof, seaproof, all that good stuff. Having been built in the USA, it would have to be everything proof.

inactive user 02 10-31-2013 12:24 PM

Dale,

It looks like this is another American Cruise Lines operation. If you read between the lines and check them out, their shipyard is finishing the boat (not building it) and it looks like a bigger version of their coastal boats.

I had heard a lot about the growing of ACL. As well as a possible sale to another group. It would make sense that they would brand this differently as they grow.

[url=http://www.pearlseascruises.com]Pearl Seas Cruise | Defining Luxury Adventure[/url] Here is the link to their site. Look at the boat and see if she isn't a larger rehash of all the other coastal vessels of ACL. Perhaps this is the "new" boat they have been alluding to at their shipyard ([url=http://www.chesapeakeshipbuilding.com]Home[/url]).

Travis

R. Dale Flick 10-31-2013 01:56 PM

*PEARL MIST/ACL connection*
Hi, Travis & Steamboating colleagues:
You make very good points on the PEARL MIST, Travis. At this point, and from the materials, links I found, I still opine the MIST is a part of bigger PEARL CRUISES and possibly not ACL. There are more than one link on Internet with other threads on PEARL CRUISES. Perhaps there's a cooperative effort in this project. [?] It would make sense to build and finish here even in the yard mentioned. Who knows? If...possibly...maybe...VIKING RIVER builds a boat(s) for the rivers here they may do the same with one of our yards. All safety standards are pretty much international under SOLAS. I even wonder if any vessel 'components' were done abroad and shipped here for inclusion in the finishing of the MIST? Most intriguing and I, for one, will keep tuned in and digging. The story ain't over yet. The Great Lakes, St. Lawrence River appealing even with the short season. Also all the major cities in the region with large populations to be 'mined' using target market demographics. These smaller to intermediate size vessels may appeal to those with the disposable income and in light of recent horror stories of the huge mega ocean ships. Also, another Internet link RE: the settlement of the PEARL MIST litigation case may be accessed. Even in the 'old steamboat days' here, records show deals cut between owning steamboat companies etc. with yards to build a boat on a cooperative investment basis between the owners and the builders. Even DENNY BROS. in Dumbarton, Scotland cut a 'deal' to finish and carry the DELTA QUEEN on their books until Capt. Anderson and old Jim Burns could get things up, moving making money. DENNY finished all charging a relatively low annual % rate of, I 'think' around 4%. The curtain hasn't gone up yet on Act II. Well, again, what do I know?

R. Dale Flick
Coal Haven Landing, Ohio River, Cincinnati

Frank X. Prudent 10-31-2013 06:40 PM

Travis is right on. The PEARL MIST is ACL's foreign flagged entry into the small ship cruise market. The itineraries look great, but with ACL's stance about exempting the DQ from certain current safety regulations, I think I'll pass.

R. Dale Flick 10-31-2013 08:56 PM

*PEARL MIST registered in Marshall Islands*
Hi, Frank,
Thanks for your latest data on PEARL MIST. 'Something' must have happened with the previously reported link now with PEARL MIST and ACL. The litigation case, now solved, previously reported "no link between the PEARL MIST and ACL." I note she's registered in the Marshall Islands. 'Officers American, crew international.' Itineraries look great indeed. Did you take a gander at the cruise rates? GULP

ACL's position on DQ exemption as mentioned no doubt a sticking point for many with the legal argument, 'what you do for one then you have to do for all.'

R. Dale Flick

inactive user 02 11-01-2013 08:42 AM

Dale,

I am getting the impression you are favoring ACL over the DQ here. ACL may have a bit of money at stake…but, turning your back on steamboats on a steamboat site? Oh wait, I just realized this has turned into a RIVERSHIP site and TRUE steamboats don't matter anymore. It would be easy for one to assume this from the "Latest News" having nothing to do about STEAMboats anymore. Perhaps ACL should have their own forum now?

Travis

R. Dale Flick 11-01-2013 09:55 AM

*You interpret me wrong*
Hi, Travis,
Sorry if my text read different than what I had written with other interpretations. In no way do I favor ACL over the DQ--ever. Read again and see my disclaimer about "not being pure steamboats." Franz, in his web paragraph, mentions "not limited too." You know me, I hope, never to think I'd turn my back on our steamboats or even those here without steam. In short, seeing the 'Active Posters' here sinking, skinking, I just thought it would be of some interest. I'm old enough dating back to the last ISLAND QUEEN along with the DELTA QUEEN from nearly the get-go longer than most here ever knew the DQ, saw her or were even born. Same thing from the very beginning of the initial design, construction, launching, inaugural trip for the MISSISSIPPI QUEEN. I wasn't there because I just happened to fall out of the clouds. C'mon, we're still colleagues and river friends, I hope. Again, as I always say, 'what do I know?' Always feel free to contact me by E=Mail if there's a question or concern about a posting.

R. Dale Flick

Frank X. Prudent 11-01-2013 10:09 AM

[QUOTE=Travis Vasconcelos;32443]Dale,

I am getting the impression you are favoring ACL over the DQ here. ACL may have a bit of money at stake…but, turning your back on steamboats on a steamboat site? Oh wait, I just realized this has turned into a RIVERSHIP site and TRUE steamboats don't matter anymore. It would be easy for one to assume this from the "Latest News" having nothing to do about STEAMboats anymore. Perhaps ACL should have their own forum now?

Travis[/QUOTE]

Calm down, Travis, and take a deep breath. Dale is just reporting what he has heard. I don't see any particular bias there. I for one think that it's important to know what others are doing. Not to see both sides of a coin and know what is on the flip side can be dangerous. If, and I really don't think so, this has turned into a, "RIVERSHIP site," we're all the better for it!

For what it's worth, speaking of "RIVERSHIPS," I just want to report that the current Love Boat PACIFIC PRINCESS has the same exact chairs in her main dining room that the AMERICAN QUEEN had last July while I was on her.

Paul Penta 11-09-2013 12:02 AM

[QUOTE=Frank X. Prudent;32446]

For what it's worth, speaking of "RIVERSHIPS," I just want to report that the current Love Boat PACIFIC PRINCESS has the same exact chairs in her main dining room that the AMERICAN QUEEN had last July while I was on her.[/QUOTE]

Frank, update on the dining room chairs. They're gone. Temp, sensible replacements being used until new chairs installed. The servers can now actually get around the tables!

Paul