Message Boards

Message Boards (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/)
-   River Talk & Cruises (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/river-talk-cruises/)
-   -   Licensed steam engineer needed! (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/river-talk-cruises/5041-licensed-steam-engineer-needed.html)

Jon Tschiggfrie 09-10-2013 07:14 AM

Licensed steam engineer needed (Sept 18 event)!

We need a licensed steam engineer for an event in La Crosse aboard the Str. JULIA BELLE SWAIN on Sept. 18 (next week). If you are able and willing, please contact me ASAP so I can connect you with the organizer of said event. Your help is needed!!

inactive user 02 09-10-2013 10:48 AM

Although I am not said Engineer....I am so excited to see this post! I wish you all the luck in the world in getting this to happen. I am giddy just seeing the post! Thank you to everyone associated with this rebirth of the JULIA BELLE SWAIN for all your hard work and persistence to make this and her future happen!

R. Dale Flick 09-10-2013 10:49 AM

*Getting a steam engineer*
Hi, Jon & Steamboating colleagues:
Good move on your part putting out the 'word' for need of a steam engineer for the JULIA BELLE SWAIN. Probably too late to get a squib in the WATERWAYS JOURNAL at this date. No doubt other veterans reading this web would have some ideas: Capts. Bob Reynolds, Bill Judd, Don Sanders, Tom Schiffer, Doc Hawley, Jim Blum etc. They also have 'links' to engineers through their business contacts, groups. Bill Judd may know through his links with NAPVO as, possibly, Alan Berntein at B/B/ RIVERBOATS, Ted Davisson. Would the gang on the BELLE OF LOUISVILLE or NATCHEZ know? Good luck, keep us posted.

R. Dale Flick
Coal Haven Landing, Ohio River, Cincinnati.

Dan Lewis 09-10-2013 04:52 PM

You have my interest! What is the best way to contact you?

Jon Tschiggfrie 09-10-2013 05:42 PM

Dan, send me your contact info via Facebook or private message.

Eric Dykman 09-11-2013 09:05 PM

Steam Engineer & JBS Update

On behalf of the future crew of the Julia Belle Swain, I'd like to thank all of the support that has been shown through the years by this fantastic group of riverboat aficionados! Unfortunately, due to several boiler related mechanical issues, we've discontinued our steam engineer search for an event next week. As you may or may not know, the JBS has transferred ownership to a non-profit organization, The Julia Belle Swain Foundation, Inc. Our goal is to restore the Julia to what it once was and to keep it as a full-blooded, functional steamer on the Mighty Miss! It won't be easy or cheap. Sadly, the Julie Belle needs quite a bit of work, both cosmetically and mechanically. The short list includes a rebuilt or new boiler, new generators, and a new electrical system. The Foundation is in its infancy, but the expectations and enthusiasm are high! There is a local fundraiser planned for large dollar donations on September 18th (this was where our engineer need came into play), but I expect a grassroots fundraising effort in the near future. Thanks again, Eric.

Dan Lewis 09-14-2013 10:08 AM

Here's hoping for the best in getting the funds to take care of the JBS and see her sail again! Let me know if their is any kind of assistance I can provide. Having some experience in bringing a steamboat back into service after sitting still for so long, I know it can be a lot of work, so I wish you all the best!