not logged in.
           forgot password?

The June REFLECTOR is Here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-25-2013, 12:54 PM

*GEORGE WASHINGTON/FFV, others*
Hi, Bill and Steamboatong colleagues:
Bill, you got that right about the long lamented GEORGE WASHINGTON, FFV and other fine trains out of Cincinnati. Also the NYC, PENNSY, N&W, ILLINOIS CENTRAL. I rode the rails many a time in my military years before the rails began to fade and the Pentagon moved over to aircraft. I often thought if it wasn't for the volume of military riding the trains, they would have gone belly up earlier.

The GEORGE WASHINGTON also 'split' once when I was aboard at Richmond, Va. if you were going into D.C. as did other lines. The southern division of C&O ran on to Newport News, Norfolk, Va. if memory serves me right after all these years. Yes their dining cars offered excellent service, cuisine and the finest blackberry pie ever eaten. The NORFOLK & WESTERN also a fine train. As the "riverman train" you pretty much had a fine view of the Ohio River on up once you hit the Kentucky side from Union Terminal until dark settled. I rode in Pullman twice to Norfolk. BALTIMORE & OHIO, CHESAPEAK & OHIO merged on one of my trips into one. Then came AMTRAK. Never rode it. Final military years I had a car on base and drove to and from Cincinnati. Riding 1st Class on BRIT RAIL, European continental and Russian crack trains also something else. Yes, I miss our passenger trains here still. Their steam whistles blowing up along the Ohio River at night both mysterious and haunting. A recent leading TV network commentator was humorously called to task saying "Grand Central Station, New York." He was reminded that a 'station' is a way rail stop; a 'terminal' the beginning and end of the line run.

R. Dale Flick
Northern shores of Lake Michigan.