not logged in.
           forgot password?

Last Weekends MOR Meeting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-24-2013, 11:18 AM

*RE: MOR weekend in Frankfort*
Hi, Jim & Steamboating colleagues:
Jim, thanks for you report on last weekend's combined MOR/S&D spring meeting in Frankfort. Weather was chilly but sunny for those of us who drove around visiting the interior of the huge Kentucky capitol building, outside grounds/gardens of the governor's mansion, Military Museum, grave of Daniel Boone, Vietnam Memorial [Very moving], Kentucky River lock with water roaring like I've never seen before. Many fine shops and other venues in town. I had no doubt I'd see Jim and Kenny Howe roll in and it was like old home week. Great steamboat stories from those two above who know it, lived it. Kenny's memories of steam engines, boilers etc. kept us riveted.

Some 42 plus dined Saturday night for Bill Judd's very professional Kentucky River PowerPoint presentation, as Jim mentioned above. Jo Ann Schoen, Barb Hameister, Frank Prudent accomplished legion work in the logistics and program. And there's no food like good Kentucky food.

S&D's Officers/Board of Governors met as usual for spring business all being handled nicely. Sorry to report that our own John Fryant went down last week with a painful attack of gall stones followed by surgery here. John is doing well but says he'll be recovering from the worst in these two weeks. Fortunately John felt 'punky' at home and not on a trip out of town.

Next Wednesday, May 1st I wing to Long Beach for the 2nd Steamship Historical Society of America 'ShiPosium' on the retired liner QUEEN MARY. Capt. Ted Davission indicates he's also booked and we should meet on the ship. We'll also tour the retired battleship IOWA and a Russian submarine, among other listed programs.

R. Dale Flick
Coal Haven Landing, Ohio River, Cincinnati