Steamboats.org Homepage  
  not logged in.
           forgot password?

Why Would Anyone Want A Paddlewheel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-16-2013, 11:56 AM

Default Why Would Anyone Want A Paddlewheel

Why would anyone who is trying to make a financial success from operating a passenger boat ever want a paddlewheel? Look at the time, lost trips, and expense the AMERICAN QUEEN has endured getting a new shaft while its competition, which apperantly lost a Zdrive unit last summer, was repaired and underway good as new in just a few days.
I love seeing a paddlewheel probably more than you do....I even built a small sternwheeler once.....but in this day and time a paddlewheel is an expensive toy, yet we all insist that a riverboat is not a true riverboat without a red paddlewheel.
As much as I hate to say it, if I were to try to get the DQ back in operation the first thing I'd do is remove the wheel and steam engines and put three diesel outdrives in their place. I'd remove the boilers and expand the New Orleans dinning room forward. A person could do all that for less than the cost of replacing the boilers and the boat would burn half the fuel. It would still be then DELTA QUEEN.