Steamboats.org Homepage  
  not logged in.
           forgot password?

Hurricane Isaac implications

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-26-2012, 02:46 PM

Default Hurricane Isaac implications

The tracking of Isaac keeps moving westward for its landfall. Right now it would hit a bit east of New Orleans, but that would sure stir up Lake Pontchartrain. The flood gates on the lakefront at the ends of the canals are done, so that would keep the surging water out of the canals, which is what was the undoing during Katrina. I haven't talked to anyone on the NATCHEZ today, but at this point I suspect they aren't moving upriver yet. Generally they stay at Toulouse St. for a Category 1 or 2, which is what Isaac is projected to be. (Should they move upriver, they head for Bayou Goula, below Baton Rouge.) Landfall is projected for Wednesday August 29 - 7 years to the day from Katrina.
The one positive thing about this storm and its track is that it should bring much needed water to the Lower Mississippi River - its too late to help any crops, but it should raise the water levels enough to help out the navigation bottleneck areas around Greenville-Vicksburg.
Needless to say, I'll be watching the storm tracking and thinking of my friends and the NATCHEZ these next few days.