forgot password?

New Queen of the Mississippi video

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-04-2012, 11:48 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Reynolds View Post
What I (and I think Travis) feel is that IF a boat is going to have those things, they should be authentic. If they choose not to pander to the "steamboat" theme or style, all well and good, and there will be those who go for the river experience
I'd love to see it the same way, if paddlewheel than a working one. But there is my "but" again: I think it's just the few of us here who even recognized the difference. Let me give you an example: There is a "paddlewheeler" here in Germany in Hamburg, the Louisiana Star (Schaufelraddampfer.de Fotos). The paddlewheel of course is fake and while cruising they lift the paddlewheel hydraulicly out of the water so it doesn't interfer with the propeller propulsion of the boat. But guess what: If when it's tht obvious, at least 95% of the people don't realize that the boat is NOT being propelled by the paddlewheel.

Now, why don't they just make the fake a bit more real? Or why don't they use a real calliope on the QM? Of coure I can only speculate, but I suppose it's because it's too expensive compared to what it helps promoting he boat is almost nobody recognizes the difference - and from the ones who do now the difference the vast majority is not wealthy enough to afford these cruises anyway ...

Don't get me wrong: I'm not happy with this situation and I'd love to see some more real-real paddlewheel steamboats back on the rivers. I'm just trying to find an explanation for why it is how it is (and why it's probably not fair to blame the cruise line for this) ...