Steamboats.org Homepage  
  not logged in.
           forgot password?

the CLYDE in the Quad Cities

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-16-2012, 04:38 PM

Default the CLYDE in the Quad Cities

Thanks to a heads up from Carmen, we found out the rafter CLYDE under the ownership and captaincy of one Shipyard Sam, aka Capt. Don Sanders, was overnighting in LeClaire Iowa. Suzanne and Richard Martinez zipped down there early this morning and not only saw the CLYDE, but got the 25 cent Captains' Fund tour of the vessel. I couldn't get up there before 10, so I checked the river as I drove up towards LeClaire and didn't see the boat enroute. (You all know the routine: 2 eyes on the river, 1 on the road). When I arrived in LeClaire, the CLYDE was gone. Obviously I had missed it enroute. Two contributing factors to this miscue would be that the CLYDE is not quite as easy to spot over the trees as one of the QUEENS is, and River Drive in Davenport is closed for construction. Anyway I found the CLYDE on my return. She was just above the main lock at L&D 15. But she was pointed upriver, not into the lock. It didn't take long to see that she was battling a strong wind and it took several minutes before Sam got her headed downriver, but once she pointed in the right direction, she zipped into the main chamber. Normally the recreational boats are put through the auxiliary chamber, but due to the strong wind, the lockmen were using the main chamber as long as no tows were around. I had a chance to visit with the crew, both of them, as they were lowered in the chamber. The swing span of the Government Bridge had to be opened, as well as the Crescent RR span just downriver. I followed the CLYDE down to my milemark, 480 UMR and watched her head downriver toward the I-280 bridge, Buffalo IA, and probably tonight's destination, Muscatine Iowa. It was good to see Don and to see a sternwheeler 'matriculating' down the UMR.
These 3 shots are above L&D 15 as she is fighting the wind.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0030.JPG
Views:	255
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	8381   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0031.JPG
Views:	290
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	8382   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0032.JPG
Views:	288