Steamboats.org Homepage  
  not logged in.
           forgot password?

AQ....A Wonderful Trip

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-13-2012, 10:55 AM

Default AQ....A Wonderful Trip

Three couples that I know took the Kentucky Derby Cruise on the AMERICAN QUEEN and , without exception, they could not be more enthusiastic about every aspect of the trip. They each said the experience was wonderful.
They left Cincinnati Friday afternoon, enjoyed a remarkable thunderstorm, locked through Markland lock and arrived in Louisville early Derby Day morning. All day long the AQ's "steam buses" (which are a real treat to see, it is said that it cost $9,000 each bus for the decals which cover the whole bus) ran shuttles between the boat and Churchill Downs and betwen the boat and the Seelbach Hotel.....Louisville's swankiest. At the Seelbach the AQ passengers were treated to a free open bar and buffet. It seems the women headed for the track while the men opted for the bar and buffet. The women placed their bets at the track and then caught the steambus to the hotel to watch the races on big screen tv's. What a great way to enjoy Derby Day in Louisville.
After the races the boat left the wharf and headed DOWNSTREAM with the intent of going down to Brandenburg before turning back upstream but fog caught them and they had to tie off in the willows. The whole day Sunday was spent cruising upstream through some of the prettiest stretches of the Ohio, passing up through McAlpine Locks at 4:30 PM. The next morning a stop at Madison before returning to Cincinnati.
Each couple said the experience was "5 star" from the food to the entertainment, from the cleanliness of the boat to the attitude and friendliness of the crew.
As I stated on here last summer after hearing John Waggoner speak the Howards, it appeared to me they were going to try to do their best to get steamboating "right". It seems they have done just that.