Message Boards

Message Boards (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/)
-   River Talk & Cruises (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/river-talk-cruises/)
-   -   "EXTRA" Added Features at the HSM Steamboat Bicentennial Celebration! (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/river-talk-cruises/4326-extra-added-features-hsm-steamboat-bicentennial-celebration.html)

Keith Norrington 09-16-2011 11:59 AM

"EXTRA" Added Features at the HSM Steamboat Bicentennial Celebration!

[B]Live from the office of the Howard Steamboat Museum: [/B] On this beautifully sunny and cool early fall Friday, Yvonne has headed for Marietta and the annual meeting of the Sons and Daughters of Pioneer Rivermen. I'm running "the BIG house" and busily working on final preparations for the Steamboat Bicentennial Celebration which begins ONE WEEK FROM TONIGHT! We launch the festive weekend with the ribbon cutting and dedication of the new Collections Management Facility. Reservations are rolling in and there's still room available for the chartered dinner cruise aboard the Str. BELLE of LOUISVILLE and, of course, for the Saturday programs here at the museum!

Speaking of the Saturday programs, we promised a few "surprises" and here are some extra features to add to the fun!

- A special display of selected river related photographs from the special collections of the University of Louisville. Our own "photo magician" Jimmy Reising, has arranged for this display, in collaboration with Bill Carner, U of L photo archives curator. I had a "sneak peek" yesterday and it's awesome!

- Representatives from [B]THE GREAT AMERICAN STEAMBOAT COMPANY [/B]will be "on deck" to share exciting news about the long awaited return of the steamer [B]AMERICAN QUEEN[/B]. I just had a delightful phone conversation with Kitty Ruxton, who many will remember from her lengthy tenure with the Delta Queen Steamboat Company. Kitty has "returned to the river", hopes to have "hot off the press" brochures for distribution and looks forward to seeing many old steamboatin' friends. This presentation will take place on Saturday at 3:00 PM, following Travis' program on the race between the ROBT. E. LEE and NATCHEZ!

Work continues daily on our new pilothouse replica, but it will not be finished in time for the celebration. The windows (authentic steamboat pilothouse windows that saw many years of service aboard the BELLE of LOUISVILLE!) are being prepared offsite and the 8' pilotwheel is being rejuvenated. The ceiling of the replica has been given several coats of what Capt. Mike Fitzgerald calls the traditional "green apple green" and fancy gingerbread trim, patterned after that on the Str. J.M. WHITE, is being cut from material that is to last for a century or more!

For further information, visit our website by clicking on [url=http://www.steamboatmuseum.org]Howard Steamboat Museum - Home Page[/url].

Hope to see y'all when we "gather by the river" to celebrate 200 years of steamboating history -- with the promise of many more to come!!!

"Curator Keith"

Judy Patsch 09-18-2011 12:18 PM

Photo display

Where will this photo display be, out in the carriage house? We won't need white gloves to look at it, will we???

Lexie Palmore 09-18-2011 12:35 PM

Sticky fingers

No. You need those gloves with extra gripping power, available at most hardware stores.

Jim Reising 09-19-2011 07:30 PM

There are darn few things I've done that I'm really proud of, but the photo exhibit I've helped put together for the Howard Bicenntenial is one of them. I really believe that we've have made a "world class" exhibit which will not only be enjoyable to view, but also educational for the neophytes who know little about the river. I think it will be an exhibit any museum would be proud to display. We have about 40 images drawn from five different collections. Most of the photos have never been publicly displayed before although there are a few familiar ones.
It is not an exhibit of just boat pictures, the theme is "people and steamboats". It attempts to show people interacting with, living with, enjoying, building and working on steamboats.
I have been practically living at the photo archives for the past week. Today we mounted all the photos and I edited the labels. Tomorrow I will print and mount the labels and on Thursday will hang the exhibit in the carrage house.
The exhibit should be up through the month of October.
Please try to stop by, I think it will be worth the trip.

Keith Norrington 09-19-2011 09:12 PM

Countdown

1 Attachment(s)
Yvonne and I just returned tonight from a conference at Richmond, Indiana, where we attended a number of most interesting seminars on museum management topics by the Association of Indiana Museums, etc. Always beneficial and fun to "network" with those facing the same joys and problems!

Now that our batteries are re-charged, Tuesday begins a very hectic and BUSY week as the countdown to the weekend festivities begins! If you come by the museum, you'll likely be dubbed a volunteer and put to WORK!

Looking forward to seeing everybody Friday evening and Saturday!

"Curator Keith"

PS "Happy 114th Birthday" today to my mentor river museum curator and patron saint of steamboating, Miss Ruth Ferris! How I wish she could be here!

David Dewey 09-20-2011 02:42 AM

Keith,
Wish I could be there. I'd be happy to be kept busy mounting photos or text blocks, etc. I think one of the more enjoyable parts of the job is creating displays!
S'
David Dewey

Keith Norrington 09-20-2011 08:25 AM

Thanks!

Thanks David! Wish you could be here, too. Just send up some good thoughts on Friday and Saturday that we all can KEEP UP STEAM!

Lexie Palmore 09-20-2011 10:20 AM

I'm sure Ruth would be excruciatingly proud of you. She might say, "Why did it take you so long?" May her spirit hover over your enterprise and may you have many visitors to the exhibit.

Tom Schiffer 09-20-2011 12:12 PM

Jim: Any getting that exhibit for another venue up here in Rabbit Hash when Howard's is done?? Cap'n Walnut

Jim Reising 09-21-2011 02:53 PM

Not sure we're ready to play to that audience.