not logged in.
           forgot password?

Flood Water Humor ??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-06-2011, 11:23 PM

Default Flood Water Humor ??

Greetings From New Orleans ,
Is it possible , especially in this age of " Political Correctness " to find a bit of humor in the recent record level flooding ?
I and others , including Capt. Bob Reynolds and Capt. Fred Carmichael worked out in this year's record level flooding and endured everything that came our way and weather it was just simple good luck , skill or just being in the right place at the right time , we were able to find a way to work and survive in this dangerous and hazardous marine environment !
Call it what you will ; gallows humor , or what ever , I and other Pilots some how found a way to take the edge off by simply making light and yes even joking about going sideways through a bridge or taking five miles to simply turn around in the torrential currents ! I've been at this now for over thirty years and I find by making light of the situation , it just helps to cope with the cards that we are dealt ! For example , a few weeks ago , I was south bound on a loaded bulker and literally did a 360 degree turn . below the point , when my ship failed to straighten up below Eight-one Mile Point !
So , after that heart felt experience , I thought it would be humorous to simply find a bit of humor in all this and to simply take the edge off and to at least have a good laugh at ourselves !
So hear goes , these are a few things that myself and a few other Pilots came up with to take the edge off !
No. 1 - What would be an appropriate Theme Song for this years flood ??
Who'll Stop The Rain ?
When The Levee Breaks !
No. 2 - Opening The Bonnet Carre' Spillway .
Anyone Interested In Spillway Surfing ??
No. 3 - Don't Fall In The River .
Its still illegal for Americans to go to Cuba !
No. 4 - Right before a collision what one Pilot says to another Pilot ?
Excuse Me , Do You Have Any Grey Poupon ?
No. 5 - What one Pilot says to another Pilot in heavy Radio Chatter ?
Can You Hear Me Now ??
No. 6 - When some one is caught in an Eddy !
Every Which Way But Loose ??
These are just a few that we used to lighten our loads and by the way when my Dad flew his B-17 into combat he and his crew did pretty much the same thing , but then again he did NOT have to answer to the politically correct and come to think of it HE WAS THE POLITICALLY CORRECT !
Hope YOU enjoyed these as much as we did !
Smooth Sailing !
Ted Davisson
WA-4141