Message Boards

Message Boards (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/)
-   River Talk & Cruises (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/river-talk-cruises/)
-   -   Inland Waterways Festival Update? (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/river-talk-cruises/4202-inland-waterways-festival-update.html)

inactive user 01 06-25-2011 04:03 PM

Inland Waterways Festival Update?

Hey All,

Wanted to see if anyone, including occasional poster John Fryant, had heard any updates about the Inland Waterways Festival scheduled to take place in Marietta in August? With it coming up on just a month away I'm concerned that I have not heard back regarding my application to attend with some of my models. If anyone has updated information including times, dates, what historic boats (outside the SNYDER) will be there, ect. it would be appreciated. Hope to see many familiar faces there too!

Aaron

Ted Davisson 06-27-2011 10:21 AM

Models ??

Aaron ,
Please pardon my ignorance but what kind of models do you make and are any for sale ?? I have been looking high and low for a respectable steamboat model but they appear to be hard to find !
Smooth Sailing !
Ted Davisson

inactive user 01 06-27-2011 10:57 AM

Hey Captain Davisson,

Sorry to disappoint but I don't build models but have had a couple built for me. I don't have any steamboat models, yet, but do have models of a couple diesel sternwheel towboats as well as a couple single screw towboats. There are some folks in the modeling community that occasionally will build models for others. If you do a search for "Towboat Joe Brown" you'll find useful information. Joe built me a model of the LADY LOIS a few years ago. I've also dealt with a few people involved in the St. Louis Admirals boat club. You can find them via google search too. R/C models are fun to run and despite being an investment you don't feel quiet as bad as the real thing when something goes wrong. Hope you find someone who can help you out with obtaining a model steamboat.

Aaron

Taylor Abbott 06-28-2011 12:01 AM

Model Builder

2 Attachment(s)
Captain Davisson,

You might consider John Bowman of Wheeling, WV. He has built a number of steamboat models for the past several years. His models include the [I]Homer Smith[/I], [I]City of Wheeling[/I], [I]Sidney[/I],[I]New Orleans[/I], and five Civil War gunboats among others. He also restored a model of mine that was built by my great-uncle Robert G. Thomas in 1973, the showboat "Eisenbarth and Henderson's Modern Temple of Amusement." He does an excellent job and is extraordinarily detailed in his work.

Mr. Bowman has donated several of his models to the Point Pleasant, WV River Museum, the Monroe County River Museum in Clarington, OH, and has built models for customers. In addition to model building, he is a noted historian of steamboats and Civil War Era and has authored three books:

"Wheeling: The Birthplace of the American Steamboat"
"A Pictorial History of Wheeling and Ohio River Steamboats"
"Steamboats on the Western River in the Civil War"

Perhaps contact him at his email address [email]gjbowman@comcast.net[/email] and see what he could do for you. Just a suggestion!

-Taylor Abbott

inactive user 01 08-08-2011 07:05 PM

Thought I'd give a report on the weekends activities in Marietta at the Inland Waterways Festival. We had 4 model boat builders/operaters running various craft in the pond under the river museum. Several re-enactors where on hand including Mark Twain and Nicolas Roosevelt. AEP's Riverworks Discovery was on hand with some activities for the kids, along with a "COASTIE" the safety boat. Tom and Carol Schiffer had one of their two steam launches (Miss Blue) available for short rides. ORSANCO was there with their mobile river aquarium and the VALLEY GEM had a couple special cruises. I saw Jeff Spear, Vic Canfield, John Fryant, Bela Berty, J.W. Rutter, and a few others I can't recall now. Everyone in attendance I think shared the enthusiasm that they would like to see this event continue annually and hopefully grow to something much larger. The first years bugs of having an event like this will need to be worked out but I'm onboard for a return visit should they have it again next year.

inactive user 01 08-09-2011 07:19 AM

Opps, forgot to mention Chuck Parrish who was also there Saturday giving talks about the NEW ORLEANS in the museum theatre.

Ted Davisson 08-09-2011 09:56 AM

John Bowman , Model Builder

3 Attachment(s)
Taylor ,
Thanks for the lead and name for some one to build a quality steamboat model for me ! There is a Bisso , tug boat Captain that builds quality models of tug boats and he has built a few for me but I would really appreciate a quality model of some other type vessel !
Over my years of working in the inland marine industry , there are very few tow boats that I personally consider " model worthy " , but having said that I think that two of the more attractive tow boats are actually sister ships which are the former Rose Barge Line boats , the American Beauty and the Crimson Glory , both identical and carry the theme of home grown American roses . In my opinion these are the two most attractive and graceful tow boats ever built for the American marine industry ! In fact , I decked and steered on both of these boats and it was a " labor of love " to do both !
Smooth Sailing !
Ted Davisson
WA-4141

[QUOTE=Taylor Abbott;26398]Captain Davisson,

You might consider John Bowman of Wheeling, WV. He has built a number of steamboat models for the past several years. His models include the [I]Homer Smith[/I], [I]City of Wheeling[/I], [I]Sidney[/I],[I]New Orleans[/I], and five Civil War gunboats among others. He also restored a model of mine that was built by my great-uncle Robert G. Thomas in 1973, the showboat "Eisenbarth and Henderson's Modern Temple of Amusement." He does an excellent job and is extraordinarily detailed in his work.

Mr. Bowman has donated several of his models to the Point Pleasant, WV River Museum, the Monroe County River Museum in Clarington, OH, and has built models for customers. In addition to model building, he is a noted historian of steamboats and Civil War Era and has authored three books:

"Wheeling: The Birthplace of the American Steamboat"
"A Pictorial History of Wheeling and Ohio River Steamboats"
"Steamboats on the Western River in the Civil War"

Perhaps contact him at his email address [email]gjbowman@comcast.net[/email] and see what he could do for you. Just a suggestion!

-Taylor Abbott[/QUOTE]

Bob Reynolds 08-09-2011 10:08 AM

Ted, there is a commercially available model kit of the AMERICAN BEAUTY available from Dumas Models.

Ted Davisson 08-09-2011 10:14 AM

Bob , thanks !

Bob , thanks so much ! I do appreciate it and will follow up on it ! I have a few models but of tug boats and I have been on a mission lately to acquire a few quality steamboat and tow boat models !
Thanks !
ALso , good to hear your voice a few days ago as you went up through the Baton Rouge harbor ! Brought back some priceless memories !
Smooth Sailing !
Ted Davisson
WA-4141

Keith Norrington 08-09-2011 06:14 PM

Thanks!

Thanks, Aaron, for the update on the Inland Waterways Festival. Glad to hear it was enjoyed and well attended. On my list "to do" at the Howard Museum is to someday host a gathering of model makers (I know there are clubs in St. Louis and elsewhere) to display their riverboat models. We don't have the reflecting pool that the Ohio River Museum has, but we have a fountain pool that could accomodate a few at a time!