not logged in.
           forgot password?

location of the Mississippi Queen

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-14-2011, 11:51 AM

*RE: Trademarks/Logos*
Steamboating colleagues:
Judy on the money [Again no pun intended] RE: Trademarks/Logos. Such are under copyright similar as books, recordings, film/photo work etc. on and on. Such can be sold by rights in corporate or personal transfers for future use. Some copyrights can be transferred to heirs, colleagues etc. but under under legal transfer being renewed in time when the (C) runs out.

Any 'fiddling' with Trademarks/Logos even in a subtle way to alter causes big problems. Look at the GE, FORD, CAMPBELL SOUP, movie/TV logos. Other corporate entities employing such too close to the original can also be met with court action. It can be one big mess involving litigation, big money, ruffled feathers. In some cases, as alan Bates mentioned, pursuing such action on smaller scale is often fruitless involving more costs initially than realized in the long term. I read ads, promos for companies with my eyes fuzzy seeing all the little (C) and (T) after each logo design or trademark. There is, at this point, no such thing as 'International Trademark' other than in those nations in the conference who have trademarks of their own. A major cruise line I know got in trouble recently claiming International Trademark and had to change the wording. It goes on and on. Again, 'If you want to know the rest of the story just follow the money.'

Mark Twain was one who saw what was coming in his own day and labored long for copyright protection. Some of his books/writings printed in outside countries for sale there. He lost much but in time earned much. Well, what do I know?

R. Dale Flick
Coal Haven Landing, Ohio River, Cincinnati.