Steamboats.org Homepage  
  not logged in.
           forgot password?

Midwest Riverboat Buffs Meeting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-06-2010, 10:05 AM

Default Midwest Riverboat Buffs Meeting

The fall meeting of the Midwest Riverboat Buffs is fast approaching. It is Friday and Saturday Oct. 15-16 in Keokuk. All meetings will be held at the Presbyterian Church at the foot of the bridge. After the Friday evening church gathering, I will be hosting a social hour(s) at the Fairfield Inn, where there will be libations unavailable at the church. In recognition of the demise of overnight steamboating on the Mississippi, our programs will center around the QUEENS. I will give a brief history of all three QUEENS and then tell tales about some of their UMR adventures and misadventures. This will be on Saturday afternoon. After dinner, Capt. Jim Blum will discuss his days and adventures as Master of both the DQ and MQ, and also his early years on the DQ. One of his partners in crime in that era, one David Tschiggfrie, will also be on hand to keep both of us in a mode of veracity. Since Jim and I aren't high tech, we'll both accompany our talks with slides, not powerpoint or whatever... after the evening program I will once again host a gathering at the Fairfield Inn. We hope to see a goodly number there, not only for the programs and fellowship, but to plan the spring/summer meeting place and activities. Hotels in Keokuk include the Fairfield Inn, Hampton Inn, and Super 8 near each other out Main St. and the Holiday Inn Express downtown.
Here are a couple of pictures I took yesterday from my current motel, which is obviously not in Keokuk or on the Mississippi. I'm visiting my sister and we are on the Pacific in Bandon, Oregon. It was a pretty sunset, but I've seen prettier on the UMR...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1901.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	6042   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1933.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	6043   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1936.jpg
Views:	200