Steamboats.org Homepage  
  not logged in.
           forgot password?

Alan Bates gets Achievement Award

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-03-2010, 10:56 AM

Default Alan Bates gets Achievement Award

On Friday night Alan Bates received an Achievement Award from the National Rivers Museum and Hall of Fame in Dubuque Iowa. He is a deserving recipient of such an honor. While I have known Alan for years as a friend and eclectic scholar, his most obvious connection to my river existence is his creation of the Steamer NATCHEZ IX for Wilbur and Bill Dow. The river community should be grateful to all of them for their vision and abilities to conjure up the graceful, fleet, and durable vessel now in her 35th year. I'm sure David Tschiggfrie will post information and pictures from the gala event of last weekend, as soon as he returns home. He is currently enroute from Louisville to Dubuque, after safely delivering Alan and Rita home yesterday. He also drove over there last week to bring them to this occasion. Each round trip is 1050 miles... The Museum has no awards for 'grunt' work, nor do they even offer thank yous for such, but David is at the top of the Grunters by far. Thanks for being the solid unspoken foundation for the grand museum complex, David!
Here is a picture of Rita, David, and Alan taking a break in their travels to check out the Middle Upper Mississippi River Museum , aka my house, yesterday. Those are prints of the WJ QUINLAN on the living room wall...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1220.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	5326